Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

what have you made???

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sniksoh

sniksoh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:45 PM

i know this thread has been brought up before but i need more ideas... have you ever made tying tools with just objects laying around the house or from a store??? if so tell me. yahoo.gif
[size=2]

#2 fly time

fly time

I love country boys!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:59 PM

I make bodkins outta heavy sewing needles, and I make wooden handles for em, they turn out pretty nice.
CAT FAST KITTEN SMOOTHE, OFTEN IMITATED, BUT NEVER DUPLICATED!!!!

#3 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:49 AM

I did the same thing only I used driftwood for the handles.
"In wildness is the preservation of the world." -Henry David Thoreau

#4 chemprof2001

chemprof2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:43 PM

I've made bodkins from sewing needles & dowels, bobbin threeaders from fine single strand leader wire and dowels, and a Matarelli style whip finisher from a piece of stainless steel spinner wire, some 1/8"copper tubing and a small metal bead. the tubing was a pice of waste from my research lab. but1/8" copper tubing is available most places. About the only tools I do buy are hackle pliers and bobbins. And vises....got a bunch of them...

Mark Delaney
So much water, so little time!!
http://chemprof.trip...om/fishing.html

#5 Nick N

Nick N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:15 PM

I resharper my scisors, but only if they get really dull. With a little time and various hook sizes you can make a hackle gauge from some thin plywood, and nail, or even some cardboard. Just find a hacle for each hook size that you tie on frequently, then wrap it around the nail, and mark how far away the fibers project with a sharpie or pen. I have made dubbing twisters from drawer pulls and coat hanger wire, as well as some material bobbins from small diameter tubeing and some wire, and whip finishers from paperclips. Also, a simple hairstacker can be made from a beer bottle cap and some metal tubeing, just glue the end of the tubeing to the cap. Be sure to use a really strong glue though! You can make it as long as you want for bucktail and the like.

Oh, and my desktop flytying bench!

A link to some picsMy fly tying bench

Thanks Nick N
"Different strokes for different folks.....Different Flies for different Guys"
Tied4uflies.4t.com

#6 stony

stony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:37 PM

I use empty ball point pens for whip finishers.
IPB Image

#7 ArkieFlyGuy

ArkieFlyGuy

It just doesn't get and better than Kenny G.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 07:16 PM

Believe it or not, I made a quite usable "Martarelli" style whip finisher out of a coat hanger.... hysterical.gif

Adhesive backed "hook" material (Velcro) stuck to the end of a popcycle stick and one wrapped around a small dowel make good dubbing teasers / brushes.

A hint I think I got from here was using the end of a "finger cot" (hard rubber "thimble" used in hand counting money or sorting paperwork) over a bobbin, then run up the thread to hold the hackle back while whip finishing... with my coat hanger.... tongue.gif
TIGHT LINES, YA'LL!!!

Arkie Fly Guy's NEW AND IMPROVED website...

I'm not a fly fisherman.... But I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!!!!....

#8 Thibodeau

Thibodeau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 07:23 PM

I've modified my wing burners from the shop to have a more realistic shape by using my dremel tool. A hair packer from an empty bullet casing. 30.30 and a 7mm Rem mag. Works just as good as the other hair packers. and they make good hair stackers too.
Kaylee & Scott

#9 flyrod98

flyrod98

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 10:51 PM

I just finished a dryer wheel with aligator clips for drying epoxy coated clouser heads. Made it from a metal book end, some foam, aligator clips and diorama motor from a hobby store. Total cost was about $30.00. A person could probably scrounge up a rotisserie motor. The diorama motor only turns at 2 to 2.5 rpm.

Attached Files

William M
35yrs walkin' + 36 yrs rollin' => 1 Really old fart.
I'd Rather Be Wadin' Than Rollin'