Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Drying small feathers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JockeH

JockeH

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:13 AM

I got a shopping bag full of feathers from my friend who is a hunter. After i washed them i got thinkin how shoulld i dry and sort them. This is what i came up with.
I put all feathers in a bucket and took a hairdryer and started drying them, when a feather was dry it automaticly "fly" out of the bucket. So i sat down on the floor and sorted all feather afterwards.

/Joakim H

#2 fly time

fly time

I love country boys!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 10:20 PM

Makes sence!
CAT FAST KITTEN SMOOTHE, OFTEN IMITATED, BUT NEVER DUPLICATED!!!!

#3 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 10:48 PM

Great idea, I think I would of swept them up and put them on a table, then sorted. I am to lazy to sit on the floor. Got me thinking now, that a screen over the bucket would save us bowth a hassle.
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#4 steelprince

steelprince

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 12:45 AM

I use a square cardboard box. i glue the flaps down on the inside bottom, remove a pair of flaps from the top, cut a square flap out for inserting and removing materials, cut a circle hole to fit blow dryer nozzle, and tape most of the open edges closed to trap as much air as possible, but allowing for circulation. I cover the flap with a book or what ever is available.
-k

#5 JockeH

JockeH

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 03:16 AM

I use speed 1 on the hairdryer so the feathers didn't fly so long just about maximum 1 meter from the bucket.

I didn't have any table with enough free space so my only options was to clean a table or use the floor, i chosed the later one cool.gif

/Jocke

#6 hectortmc

hectortmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:17 AM

When I dry feathers I use a mesh dryer bag and put the feathers in it and throw it in the clothes dryer. Check on them a couple of times when they are dry just unzip the bag and sort them out.

#7 MTtyer

MTtyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:39 PM

I used a vaccum cleaner bag once...had to punch a jillion little holes in it with a bodkin to allow for circulation but the opening fit over the hair dryer just fine. I kept the dryer on low and shook the bag as the material dried...worked just fine.
"....how a culture relates to and encounters nature is the only valid criterion for judging it's quality."
- John Gierach

http://montanacustomtiedflies.4t.com