Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Eye Painting Tools

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 letumgo

letumgo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:58 AM

Here is an inexpensive set of tools you can create to paint eyes on flies. These tools are simply a piece of wooden dowel (5/16" diameter) that has been cut into roughly 4" lengths. The ends of the dowels are then sharpened to a range of different diameters using a pencil sharpener and lightly sanded. I use a small 35mm film canister to hold the tools on my tying desk.

To use the tools, I just squirt latex craft paint onto a pad of Post-It notes and dip the end of the dowel into the paint. These make nice eyes on flies.

I made this set out of a single dowel (total cost 50 cents). You could also make a set out of old pencils you may have lying around.

Here is a short-cut link to a wonderful article by Bob Petti showing how to paint eyes on streamers (step-by-step):

http://www.globalfly...tiebetter/eyes/

Streamertyer (Paul) - I posted this separately in the tying tips section because I did not want to take anything away from your recent posting on the nice set of eye painting tools from Wasatch. I think their tools are really wonderful works of craftsmanship. These are just a poorman's alternate.

Attached Files

http://www.flytyingf...gettyer=letumgo

Ray (letumgo) <)((((><<

#2 Batman

Batman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:16 PM

I kinda do the same thing, I just use different sizes of nails. i drill a hole and glue them to some dowels
I don't know why i never thought to just make them out of the dowel itself, good idea. B

#3 Rustyspinner

Rustyspinner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:22 PM

Just go out and purchase a cheap set of allen wrenches. There is a wide range of sizes and they work well. The painted eye goes on round by the way even though the wrenches are not round.

For a buck or two you have instant eye painting tools.

#4 Inconnu

Inconnu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:57 PM

I picked up a 1/2 dozen assorted sized art paint brushes at the dollar store, then cut the ends off at assorted diameters and sanded them smooth. Works pretty good so far. Thanks for this topic, it has been a big help for me....Kerry smile.gif
Project Healing Waters flyfishing Canada,

#5 mhackney

mhackney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 03:26 PM

What's a 35mm film container dunno.gif

j_k.gif laugh.gif

Great idea, I just made a similar set to paint eyes on several dozen Thunder Creek flies I tied.

cheers,
Michael