Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

cutting wire

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sniksoh

sniksoh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:04 PM

instead of using your expensive fly tying scissors for gutting wire, just by a cheap pair of fingernail clippers and thay work even better...i have cut through very tough wire with these and they hardley ever get damaged!!!
[size=2]

#2 letumgo

letumgo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:44 PM

Great Tip! Sure beats ruining your sissors cutting wire with them. Much less expensive to replace.
http://www.flytyingf...gettyer=letumgo

Ray (letumgo) <)((((><<

#3 wilcara

wilcara

"Wolfish"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:19 PM

I have a cheap pair just for wire, and save the good ones. Also have another pair just for hair too.
Cheers - Chris

IPB Image

IPB ImageDon't blame me - I was raised by wolves in the Tasmanian highlands.

#4 maddog48

maddog48

I Am My River's Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:45 PM

I bought a pair of the Titanium scissors from Wal-Mart for about $5 for cutting wire and tinsel. But .. I have now also gone to using just a fingernail clipper, too. Can't beat it .. at least I don't think so.

Mike
Procrastinate now. Don't put it off.

#5 Chase Creek

Chase Creek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:05 PM

I use an old pair for wire, and another old pair for hair. I put diffrerent color stripes of nail polish on the each so I can tell them apart from the good ones. I'll try the clippers, sounds like a good idea.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold

#6 sniksoh

sniksoh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:06 PM

thumbsup.gif
[size=2]

#7 fly time

fly time

I love country boys!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:48 PM

I use a tiny pair of wire cutters, and I would forget which color is for what if I tried to paint mine. wallbash.gif
CAT FAST KITTEN SMOOTHE, OFTEN IMITATED, BUT NEVER DUPLICATED!!!!

#8 troutgames

troutgames

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:55 PM

I just give the wire a wiggle & a snap. Metal fatigue is sometimes a good thing. I don't have to stop & pick up another tool to trim the excess. But I have to agree you can't beat a pair of .99 cent clippers to do the dirty work.

#9 flyfishingwright

flyfishingwright

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 12:05 AM

Nice tip!

#10 AlG

AlG

SD IS MY ORVIS HERO!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:08 AM

I use diagonal cutters.......a bit old but still work like the day i got them. cool.gif

#11 kerusso

kerusso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 04:36 PM

Sniksoh,

Good tip ! Fingernail clippers are great for cutting wire and other things. I also use them to cut close the wing cases on GRHE as well as some collar materials. Sure saves the scissors.

#12 flyfishingtaz

flyfishingtaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:54 PM

I myself bought some craft cutters during a local trip to the craft store. They were only a few bucks, and they can cut through a hook if need be.
I love farm ponds!! You can catch gills all day, and not care about hooking into a bigger

MY BLOG