Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

tools for cutting foam strips

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chase Creek

Chase Creek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 07:04 AM

I use a small (6"x8") cutting board for a base to cut foam strips. It has a handle with a hole in it to hang up at the end of my desk. Think I got it in the kitchen department of Wally World. To cut the foam, I use a metal straight edge and one of those fabric cutters with the revolving round blade. Watch out blink.gif , those cutters are like razors.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold

#2 oatka

oatka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 06:58 PM

My wife does scrapbooking and quilting....I use her rotary blade too. It's a great tool.

#3 MTtyer

MTtyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 07:10 PM

Haven't tried one of those rotary blades yet. I get a pack of 4 disposable snap off blade razor knives at the local dollar store.

"....how a culture relates to and encounters nature is the only valid criterion for judging it's quality."
- John Gierach

http://montanacustomtiedflies.4t.com

#4 letumgo

letumgo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 07:59 PM

I used to do the same thing, but my wife found out I was using her rotary cutter and took it back.... baby.gif rolleyes.gif

Now I use a single blade razor to cut foam. I do most of my cutting on the top of one of my plastic storage containers. I use a metal ruler for straight cuts. I recently picked up a set of spark plug feeler gages to cut a range of different triangles.
http://www.flytyingf...gettyer=letumgo

Ray (letumgo) <)((((><<

#5 KeithS

KeithS

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 08:05 PM

I find that a paper cutter works great for cutting foam....and for trimming all of those paper projects.

#6 Inconnu

Inconnu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 06:56 AM

I like the idea of the rolling wheel, it wouldn't drag and go off track on occasion. I'll have to pick one up and try it out. smile.gif
Project Healing Waters flyfishing Canada,