Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Need a new vice

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kodiak Commando

Kodiak Commando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:20 AM

I'v been thinking about getting a new vice. Even though i have been tying for years now I have never had one that was more than 110 bucks and my current rotary budget griffin is on it's last legs.

Any good recomendations for a vice in the 100 to 250 dollar range. I tie a variety of sizez, smallest around size 14 and the biggest around 2/0. However most of my flies are in the size 6 to 1/0 range so a vice with good grip strength for big flies is a must.
I wish my first words when i was born were quote so right before I died I could say unqoute-stepen wright

#2 maddog48

maddog48

I Am My River's Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:58 AM

Have you had a chance to read the reviews that Hans Weillenman and Bruce Salzburg did fo Flyfisherman magazine?

http://www.flyfisher...com/ftb/hwvise/

Mike
Procrastinate now. Don't put it off.

#3 wickedcarpenter

wickedcarpenter

Hello my names Brent...and i'm a Swapaholic,but i can quit anytime i want..really!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:05 AM

Anything but a new or used Nor-Vise is money well spent.

#4 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:01 AM

Christmas is comming, you should be laying down some hints. I dont know where the link is but have you checked the vice reviews here on the site.

I like the look of the new true rotary Regal.
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#5 conehead

conehead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:50 AM

Two words

DYNA KING

You can place an order with Hook and Hackle for a dyna King Jr. Trecker (bigger and heavier than the renzetti model). For you best price, I believe they give a 20% off for orders placed by November 30.

You won't be sorry, anyone who has ever used this vise loves it.

http://www.hookhack.com/vises.html

Conehead
7,793,638 fly patterns out there; face it, I'm gonna be late for work.

#6 Kodiak Commando

Kodiak Commando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:39 PM

Thanks guys, just ordered a dyna king jr. trecker.
I wish my first words when i was born were quote so right before I died I could say unqoute-stepen wright

#7 ARFLY

ARFLY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:45 PM

What Conehead said. You won't be disappointed with your Dyna-King.

#8 beaverfsu

beaverfsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:26 AM

Good man, you will enjoy your DK
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan circa 1985

#9 AlG

AlG

SD IS MY ORVIS HERO!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:56 AM

You will definitely like the Trekker headbang.gif