Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Warren Duncan Passes

3 replies to this topic

#1 pacres

pacres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 02:08 PM

I'm not sure if this news has reached you yet, But I got wind of this last night. Dunc passes away Friday night. It is a big loss for the fly tying community.

Warren 'Dunc' Duncan

#2 Scandinavian-Tyer

Scandinavian-Tyer

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:42 PM

A great loos indeed! sad.gif I can not believe there has not been one single reply to this post. huh.gif I met Warren Duncan in Odense, Denmark,where he demonstrated his remakable skills at creating hairwings salmonflies at an amazing speed. Despite beeing a very fast tyer the quality of his flies was outstanding!!!! I still use some of tricks for creating better and more durable hairwing salmon flies. The Duncan loop, securing floss butts and his way of tying in the hair to make the wing stronger was really outstanding and everybody should know about it.

Thank you Warren smile.gif

#3 blackdog1101

blackdog1101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:47 PM

I had the opportunity to email with Dunc on a number of occasions. Coincidentally, we share the same first name. I learned of his passing on the Yahoo Streamer Flies list, and am glad to have one of his flies, a Rangely streamer he tied for a swap among list members. He passed while tying flies at his desk, doing what he was passionate about. His death is a great loss to the fly tying community.

"Be careful where you fish, who you fish with, and what you catch."

#4 CapeBSalar

CapeBSalar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE(Scandinavian-Tyer @ Mar 7 2007, 09:42 PM) View Post

A great loos indeed! sad.gif I can not believe there has not been one single reply to this post. huh.gif

Hey There Scandinavian tyer,

There were several posts made on other parts of FTF, especially in the Classic Tying Forum, but also in others. I'm just seeing this one post now, I don't frequent this area much.

I'll be appearing at the Dieppe Fly Fishing Show this month and before this news arrived, looked much forward to running into Dunc again. It's sad that now I'll be attending a tribute for him at the show instead. I'm sure it will be packed to capacity seating as was his demonstration when my wife and I met him in 2005.

Here's a picture of his goodies table after the tying demo.

And another close up of some flies.

Attached Thumbnails

• warrenstableofgoodies.JPG
  • frameddisplayofspringsalmonflies.JPG

Canadian Fly Tyer's

Damian's Flytyer.ca Profile

Damian's Classic Salmon Fly Website

Fly Tyer's Daily Blog

"Neither is there a right way nor a wrong way to tie a fly---sometimes just a better way."
J. Edson Leonard (Preface to his 1988 Edition of Flies, 1950, A.S. Barnes, NY)

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." Henry David Thoreu

riversedgeflyfishing@ns.sympatico.ca

Reply to this topic