Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Shipping ideas?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Frogfish

Frogfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:18 PM

How do you guys ship bulky flies such as dahlberg-divers so that the deer hair isn't flattened?

Is there any cheap and economical way?

IPB Image
Vikings Fan For Life

#2 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:18 PM

empty VCR tape boxes, with a sheet of foam glued in to hold the flys. Sometimes you can find them real cheap at dollar stores
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#3 Chase Creek

Chase Creek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:28 AM

depends on how many you're shipping. When I send flies for swaps
(12 +/- flies) I use an Altoids tin, just putting them in loose. Haven't had a problem with crushed hackle or the like, and the tin fits nicely in a size #0 (6"x9") bubble mailer.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold

#4 atroutbum2

atroutbum2

Swapaholic wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:40 PM

Ive used empty 1 doz golf ball boxes for deerhair fly swaps with good results. They are sturdy enough to resist crushing and aint too heavy.
If a man speaks in the woods, and no woman is there to hear it. Is he still wrong?

Stupid should hurt.

#5 Inconnu

Inconnu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:33 PM

I agree the VCR boxes are pretty hard to beat for large deerhair flies. smile.gif
Project Healing Waters flyfishing Canada,

#6 Macsflytying

Macsflytying

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 06:28 PM

I use vcr boxes they work great for me or a box with removable spacers you can get them at wal-mart.

Josh
When you feel your fly tying cannot improve, it's time to get rid of your tying stuff!
My Web Site:
Macs Fly Tying

#7 longears

longears

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 12:36 AM

You can normally pick thos VCR boxes up at your neighborhood Video rental outfit for free. They usually just give them away. I collected many over the years for sending swap fly's out.
Randy
www.tyingsupplies.com