Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Microslit foam...any ideas?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:46 AM

I recently tied a dee fly I wanted to put in the mail. I had the problem of how to ship it. I remembered this thread and found an old foam mouse pad, about 1/4 inch thick, I had laying around. I cut it to fit into a deep mustad signature saltwater streamer hook box. Lined up the fly and made a slit with a razor. Very slick way to hold a fly. When I go to replace some worn out foam I know what I am going to do. As for the existing foam in the boxes I might just give the razor/slot a go.
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#17 Hot Tuna

Hot Tuna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:16 AM

Sounds good Joe Hard....I lucked out and found a brnad new pair of Singer pinking shears at my friend's Used Furniture and Collectible store for 5 bucks. It cuts 6mm craft foam like a charm....I plan on cutting strips of it and gluing it into Altoids boxes I've been saving for future fly swaps.
Thanks to everyone who contributed on this thread...it's great having a brain trust of 8,000 plus guys and gals...you're my Soggy Bottom Boys(and girls....LOL)
Hot Tuna
PS For those that didn't get it...Soggy Bottom Boys is a cinematic reference to the movie that happily revived many people's interest in bluegrass and traditional country music Oh Brother Where Art Thou.

#18 Faster Fish

Faster Fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 02:31 PM

Can anyone post pictures of their creations? I am a visual person and seeing some of the results may help clear up a few loose ends for me.

Randy

#19 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,498 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 04:11 PM

I second the motion for pictures!

Does anyone know

Where the Love of God goes

When the waves