Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Head Cement Preferences

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

Poll: Head Cement Preferences

What head cement do you use?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Wellman

Wellman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

Pro Lak... my local fly shop has it by the dozens!

#32 cencalfly

cencalfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:59 PM

A little Griff's thin cement to lock everything together. Then a coat or two of lacquer if I want it smooth and glossy.

#33 Snowblind

Snowblind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:24 AM

Since perfecting my whip finish I don't bother with head cement.

I have a blue bottle of "head cement stuff" I use. The label came off and I don't recall what brand it is.

#34 oldtrout58

oldtrout58

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:59 AM

For flies that I fish with I use Behlen String Instrument Lacquer. It penetrates very well, but might be toxic.
I think I paid about 5 dollars for a can of it several years ago, more than a lifetime suppy too.

#35 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:39 PM

Sally Hansens
“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
~Archimedes

Darwinism seems to have become a politically protected sacred cow, and I've never seen a sacred cow I haven't wanted to roast - the fact that you are not supposed to criticize it is just too irresistible to me.
-Angus Menuge

Visit my blog, North Fly, and leave a comment if the mood takes you

#36 Silver Doctor

Silver Doctor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:43 PM

I use Minwax Polycrylic as a base coat on everything. Water based with no smell, penetrates very well. If I want a buildup a coat of Sallys or hard as hull.
--------------------------------------------
Often I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito bitten,
but never, with a fly rod in my hand have I been in a place that was less than beautiful.

My blog - casting on the waters
[/color]

#37 redietz

redietz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:06 AM

Veniards Cellire. I disagree that it's hard to find, however.

Bob

#38 wyotyer

wyotyer

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:29 PM

Mostly Sally's Hard as Nail, but occasionally Dave's.

#39 fishabuoy

fishabuoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:09 PM

Griffs Thin for general freshwater dries and nymphs. Sally's and/or thin Zap for saltwater and "big" flies

#40 birdman6

birdman6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:59 AM

I have been using Loons hard head for 7 years, i get a good build up and a nice clear finnish with it without any strong fumes. I have my fly tying table in the bedroom and the wife complains if i use normal varnish.
the fish of a lifetime is out there, you just need to catch it.

#41 60mikes

60mikes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:52 PM

I use Zapagap thin & Sally Hansens>Pretty much satisfied with them.That said I never heard of ProLac or Fly-Tite..Where can it be found .May like to give either a shot.FD

#42 NJFlyMAn

NJFlyMAn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:10 PM

I use Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails, and Loon flexible head cement.

#43 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:57 PM

I prefer no cement. When I did use it, I used Flexament. Before that, I tied a lot of bass flies and loved regular old superglue. On nymphs and dries, I don't bother. A couple of good whip finishes and into the box.
May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing

#44 maddog48

maddog48

I Am My River's Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 03:18 PM

I use Loc-Tite super glue on the zebra midges I fish. Other than that .. I don't use anything.

Mike
Procrastinate now. Don't put it off.

#45 c-denby

c-denby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:30 AM

When I started tying, I was introduced to UNI-Lak and have always liked it, Then I started using Sallys, ZapaGap, and Loon UV.. Plus an assortment of colored nail polishes. I have recently went to use my UNI-Lak cements and found that over time they have thickened and became stringy. Anyone use this product and any way to properly thin them? I have like a dozen bottles in different colors and would like to salvage them.. When they were new, They were perfect consistency and I don't understand why they have become thick and stringy over time. I've tried stirring and shaking so it's not just that it has separated or anything.

Anyways, i'm still fairly unsure of what cements I prefer most as I have been trying every technique that I can. I still would like to try the Cellire and Kelsons recipe lacs.. Plus I have heard of a few secret recipes that are used on classics that I would like to eventually try..

IMO, it all comes down to a consistency and color preference. They will all work, but it will depend on how it feels for you to work with and the color you are trying to achieve.

Cheers,
Chris