Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Winding Chenille Materials onto Cards

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 letumgo

letumgo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:33 AM

Here is another use I found for my rotary vise. I recently purchased a bunch of chenille of E-bay and when it came in, the chenille was all in loose bunches. The bunches of chenille easily became tangled together and were not convenient to tye with. I decided to wind the material onto some small plastic cards I picked up at JoAnne's.

I found that I could easily mount the cards in the jaws of my rotary vise and then spin the vise to wind the material onto the cards. I like the fact that the I could keep a nice uniform tension on the material while it was being wound onto the card to reduce the bulk. This method does not add additional twist to the chenille material like hand winding tends to do. It is a fast and simple way to card materials.

I figured I'd share this in case others would find it useful. smile.gif

Attached Files

http://www.flytyingf...gettyer=letumgo

Ray (letumgo) <)((((><<

#2 Chase Creek

Chase Creek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:12 PM

Great idea! Maybe one could make a spool winder, too. Put a slot in the end of a wood dowell, glue a flat piece of plastic (bread wrapper tag?) into the slot. jamb the empty spool onto the dowell, put the plastic thingy in the jaws, and wind away.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold

#3 parrothead

parrothead

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:48 PM

My father in law has a lure company specializing in jigs, spinner baits and tubes. He uses Danville Flymaster plus thread by the case. He will go through a dozen spools every couple weeks. I use those to put my loose chenille and stuff on. I hate those cards. I can put them on loose spools and use them in an old bobbin. You will not waste near the material. You use what you need and dont cut off any extra. But thanks for the idea on my rotary vise, I never thought of that.

#4 Flymaker911

Flymaker911

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:18 PM

Sounds like some good ideas....
The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Talked to Jesus lately???