Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Tying Flies and listening to your ipod

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Poll: How Many Tie While Listening to an ipod?

Do you tie while listening to your ipod?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 byhaugh

byhaugh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:47 AM

Hi,
Trying to get a feel for the ubiquity of the ipod in our lives. After "viewing" this post, please post your answer as to whether or not you listen to an ipod while tying: Never, sometimes, often, almost all the time, or all the time.
Thanks

#2 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:56 AM

never dont have an ipod
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#3 day5

day5

Founding member of Carp Unlimited, first meeting held at the Kalamazoo waste management plant...bring gloves!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:17 AM

never But ill toss in a cd from time to time
Genesis1:20
Click the picture below to visit www.streamersflyshop.com

I filled up two shopping carts late last night
The one was full of fishing gear, the other newcastle ale
The checkout-lady laughed and said 'You think you got enough'
And I said 'Yeah, You're probably right', and filled another two carts up
Gonna catch all the fish, Gonna drink all the beer, Gonna head outta town, We're not staying here
Might take all day, might take all year, Till we catch all the fish, Till we drink all the beer

Brad Paisley

Join me on facebook search: streamers fly shop

#4 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,170 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:55 AM

I listen to different internet radio stations at home and my ipod at work.
Friday is my second favorite "f" word. Floccinaucinihilipilification is my first.

#5 VERN-O

VERN-O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:05 AM

I can barely afforg tying supplies.....IPOD....maybe in 5 years when they're outdated and giving them away in cereal boxes.....plus MP3 sound quality is toilet flushings.....the general public just wants an easy way to get music for free and store it in the smallest space possible, but have this long cord dangling all over the place......so nothing on my IPOD....hehehe

#6 Chase Creek

Chase Creek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:35 AM

Vern-o, don't hold back, let it out. (Me, too.) I'll put a set of phones on and listen to internet radio or just turn on the radio when I'm tying.
I have a tv in my tying room also, but rarely watch while I'm tying - can't see it anyway when I'm wearing my tying glasses.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold

#7 streamcaddis

streamcaddis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:24 AM

I don't have an ipod. I do have an imac and itunes. I turn on itunes about every time I head to the tying bench yahoo.gif
I was tying flies and fly fishing before it got trendy.

#8 Hardyhead

Hardyhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:35 AM

Never.

I don't like wearing headsets while tying, the wires area annoying, but I always have the radio or TV on, which is odd, because the TV is behind me, so I cannot actually watch it while I tie. Some form of noise is definitely a must, and I usually have Mr. Kitty curled up on my feet, and occasionally he donates some of his shiny black hair to a fly, quite nice of him.

I usually listen to the Rolling Stones or Tom Petty while I tie, nothing too outlandish, sometimes U2.

#9 TerryLee

TerryLee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:11 AM

No ipod here. I usually listen to music, though, either from the stereo, computer (in some form or another), or satellite television through the stereo. Sometimes I just like it quiet, though.
Laissez les bon temps rouler!

#10 phg

phg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:54 AM

I like to just open the window and listen to the birds sing. I guess it's a generational thing, but I don't want or need any background noise when I'm tying. Peace and quiet is just fine....

#11 Redwings1

Redwings1

solid technique with a dash of style

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,405 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:58 AM

Sports are on the TV nightly...my iPod is for work and workouts
-Mike Schmidt of ANGLERSCHOICEFLIES.COM

IPB Image

#12 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:09 PM

I tie better when listening to music or the TV. I tie really well when there are no words in the music, just instruments playing. I can also sit and tie longer. It's about 50/50 between the TV and Music. I like listening to sports or the Discovery Channel when I have the TV going. For music I'll almost always put some Pink Floyd in, or Moby. Other favorites include Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, Mozart, and Marylon Manson. Lots of other stuff too, but those are my staples.

#13 madkasel

madkasel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:30 PM

I don't have an ipod, but there is a radio by my bench. Funny thing is that I always have the radio going when I'm doing woodworking, but almost never have it on while tying.

The precious stones in the queen's round metal hat glittered like jewels in a crown.

#14 Fly_guy_stu

Fly_guy_stu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:32 PM

Don't like IPods, never have, never will. But I do have an mp3 player. I usually have the tv on in the background, I honestly haven't noticed if this has affected my tying in any way.

#15 Dble Haul

Dble Haul

I LOVE SD!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:41 PM

We have an Ipod, but we only use it for traveling on long trips in the car. I usually have a television on while I'm tying, mostly just listening to whatever game happens to be on.
Mark