Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Tying Flies and listening to your ipod

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Poll: How Many Tie While Listening to an ipod?

Do you tie while listening to your ipod?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#76 cencalfly

cencalfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:45 PM

Listening to Pandora on the internet lately. You can create your own stations based on a song type or group/artist. Favorite stations so far have been Cream, Sunshine of your Love Radio (another Cream station), and Zeppelin.

#77 Eusebius

Eusebius

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:41 AM

I'm fortunate that my tying bench is in my home office where I have both a computer and my old Marantz 2270 and Sansui speakers. I stream Sirrius online into my stereo as I work. I listen to Classic Vinyl (Channel #14) and Classic Rewind (Channel #15) cause under the button down image is an old hippie that can still get fired up listening to Led Zepplin's "Over The Hills and Far Away". rolleyes.gif

Tight Lines,

Eusebius

#78 Rainbow

Rainbow

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:52 AM

I have a docking station at bench and also like podcasts etc...lets me catch up on fishing stuff without distraction...other than that some relaxing music is good also...prefer the Dead, Marley, etc.

#79 TitanFlies

TitanFlies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE (Eusebius @ Jan 28 2010, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm fortunate that my tying bench is in my home office where I have both a computer and my old Marantz 2270 and Sansui speakers. I stream Sirrius online into my stereo as I work. I listen to Classic Vinyl (Channel #14) and Classic Rewind (Channel #15) cause under the button down image is an old hippie that can still get fired up listening to Led Zepplin's "Over The Hills and Far Away". rolleyes.gif

Tight Lines,

Eusebius

Ahhhh Marantz... the old industry standard - I love Marantz audio harware!
"If the author of the Declaration of Independence were to utter such a sentiment today, the Post Office Department could exclude him from the mail, grand juries could indict him for sedition and criminal syndicalism, legislative committees could seize his private papers... and United States Senators would be clamoring for his deportation that he... should be sent back to live with the rest of the terrorists." -Frank Cobb

#80 twohearted

twohearted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:20 PM

I usually listen to my iPod in some form whether on the docking station or iTunes; most often music but also tune into podcasts.

When listening to podcasts I tune into Flyfishing Internet Radio and when listening to music I prefer Bluegrass (Frostbitten Grass, a good old U.P. Band), David Crowder, Todd Agnew, Jack Johnson, and Dave Matthews Band (Live stuff only).

#81 Flytyer14

Flytyer14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE (VERN-O @ Mar 7 2007, 06:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can barely afforg tying supplies.....IPOD....maybe in 5 years when they're outdated and giving them away in cereal boxes.....plus MP3 sound quality is toilet flushings.....the general public just wants an easy way to get music for free and store it in the smallest space possible, but have this long cord dangling all over the place......so nothing on my IPOD....hehehe

I can hardly afford supplies too, I still run out of hackle all the time for wet flies and fro the small flies I tie. I don't have any money!!
-Mark Varga

Tyer for 5 years!!

I specialize in tying Classic Salmon Flies as well as some of the more generic trout patterns.

If anyone has a question or is in need of any materials, I can try to point you in the right direction.

#82 TitanFlies

TitanFlies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:02 AM

Almost have my 60 GB iPod topped off. I listen to my music when I remember to, if not, then I don't and just tie in silence. Bands include *deep breathe* Pink Floyd, Animal Collective, Led, Pearl Jam, John Butler, Eric Clapton, The Doors, Thom Yorke, The Clash, Atmosphere, Moody Blues, Kings of Leon, Peter Frampton, Beach House, REM, Stone Roses, The Who, Vitamin String Quartet... yea I like a lot...

BitTorrent is my friend smile.gif
"If the author of the Declaration of Independence were to utter such a sentiment today, the Post Office Department could exclude him from the mail, grand juries could indict him for sedition and criminal syndicalism, legislative committees could seize his private papers... and United States Senators would be clamoring for his deportation that he... should be sent back to live with the rest of the terrorists." -Frank Cobb

#83 smokinprice

smokinprice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:14 AM

I voted no. While I do have one (a first gen model...old as dirt that I just got) I prefer to listen to a DVD. I have a portable DVD player I use.

#84 tonysurface

tonysurface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:08 PM

Sometimes I will listen to Pandora or my iTunes library. I usually have dvds of Fly Tying the Angler's Art playing on my laptop or watching the episodes online. I really like listening to Leroy Hyatt talk about fly fishing and tying. He seems like a great guy and his voice is very soothing. The late Dave Engerbretson had a ton of knowlege and Carolyn Sells is good too. If you haven't seen these episodes, go to KWSU's website. Great stuff for the beginner.

#85 tben

tben

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:25 PM

Another alternative to Pandora is Grooveshark. You can make your own playlists, save 'em and search a huge library of songs for free. Its what I use and yes I like to have some music in the background while I'm tying. Right now its Johnny Cash and Dizzy Gillespie.

#86 NJ All Day

NJ All Day

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:54 AM

I listen to my iPod all the time when I'm tying. But I don't use head phones or any of that I have a docking station at my desk. also I listen to easy listening music and a low volume so it's a nice backround music.
Evan

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

~Tony Blake~

#87 notenuftoys

notenuftoys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:08 PM

I usually listen to music or podcast on iTunes on my laptop. I don't typically use my iPod.

#88 troutinturnie

troutinturnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

Don't have an iPad but nothing better then tying fies listening to bluegrass music!

#89 mojokayak

mojokayak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

I use Pandora rather than my ipod