Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bugsy

Hyatt's Steelhead Muddler

This is another Leroy Hyatt pattern, as credited in Steelhead Fly Fishing. Though it's nothing more than a color variation of his "Bloody Muddler," I like it in orange. :D

This and the bloody muddler both look great. I envy those who can spin deer hair and make it look so good. I hate spinning deer hair so have never improved my skills at it, which makes me hate it even more. My wife, VEE, however can spin deer hair like a pro. Consequently, she gets to tie all the flies like these for our use.

Very nicely done.

Thank you, REE. With the looped eye, these don't take as much spinning as stacking. Gets messy either way, though. Certainly nice of VEE to supply the hair flies for you. Thanks again :)

Man, that looks like such an interesting fly to fish with. I stared at this one for a long time and I could almost see it in the water...

I am enthralled with the hot orange color calf tail that you used on this fly. When I checked your materials list in the pattern database I was expecting to see that it was a 50/50 mix of red and orange calf tail. The color reminds me a lot of the ever popular Mickey Finn when it gets wet (kind of a rich tangerine color).

I'd love to add a few of these to my steelhead fly box, but I suck at spinning the hair heads on flies. I envy your skills buddy.

Great fly, Bugsy!

Eric - I fished one of the flies you sent me this afternoon and was really happy with the results (see the photo below). I was wearing polarized sunglasses and was able to watch the path of the fly as it drifted down the stream. As soon as I started moving the fly, a bass came out and smashed it. :D :yahoo: Man, that was fun!

I even got a nice underwater video of the bass as I let him go. He's got a split in his tail, so I will recognize him if I manage to catch him again in the future.

Thanks for sending me the flies! I knew it they would work as soon as I saw your original post.

post-4573-1209863987_thumb.jpgpost-4573-1209864002_thumb.jpgpost-4573-1209864017_thumb.jpg

I LOVE this fly, and i need to work on my spinning skills anyway. Thankx for posting this. VERY cool fly. mark..... B)

WoooHooo! Now that's one beautiful bass, my friend :headbang: What is that...about 17"??

Ray, seeing this just made my day! I don't think I could be happier if I had caught that fella myself :kicking:

Thanks so much for posting your success!

Now you just gotta let a steelie chase that fly :)

I was tryin' to get a steelhead to chase it, but the bass are more aggressive. It makes it fun when you can catch a couple different kinds of fish. :D