Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Knots

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sulfernut

sulfernut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 08:34 AM

I remember hearing (can't remember where!) that there is a potential problem,when attaching gel-spun backing to a flyline,due to the backing possibly cutting through the flyline,depending on what knot is used. Anyone else ever hear of this?? If so,does anyone have any recommendations on a good/safe knot to use? I have done some Googling around,and haven't come up with very much!!

Many Thanks!!

Sulphernut

Ever wonder if Ernest Schweibert could actually speak in italics!! ??

#2 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:12 AM

I use it and attach with a nail knot, seems to work fine
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#3 Fly_guy_stu

Fly_guy_stu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:14 AM

I'm guessing that the problem is the GSP backing is cutting through the plastic coating? If this is the case... why not strip the plastic coating off the end and attatch the exsposed core to the backing with a water knot? Or you could try attatching a leader loop to the back end and attaching it to that? I've never had to consider how i'd hanlde that situation but that probably where I'd start ?!?!? dunno.gif

Good luck,

Stu

#4 BigBugger

BigBugger

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:54 AM

Look up the improved albright knot or double nail knot (I think that's what it's called. It's just another nail knot an inch further up the line from the first. I find the double nail knot a pain, but I know guys who use it.