Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

epoxy

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cvansickler

cvansickler

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 03:26 PM

Does anyone have any brand suggestions on using epoxy for flies. Can I go and buy just any quart of epoxy at the hardware store, etc...

#2 sulfernut

sulfernut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 01:09 PM

Z-Poxy or Devcon....Try to get it in separate bottles...the "conjoined"syringes don't dispense equally,in my experience!
Ever wonder if Ernest Schweibert could actually speak in italics!! ??

#3 DFix

DFix

New and improved, guaranteed to handle 3.4 gigs of translation per minute!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE(sulfernut @ Jun 22 2007, 02:09 PM) View Post

Z-Poxy or Devcon....Try to get it in separate bottles...the "conjoined"syringes don't dispense equally,in my experience!

When I use pre-filled syringes I have to be careful to press them so they dispense the same amounts of material- agree with above post but it isn't terribly hard to be careful and get the dispensing as close as possible.

#4 flykid

flykid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:32 AM

If you squirt out the two parts on the side where you're not mixing you can get the air out of the tubes along with some of the hardener or resin and two parts will be even and you can then get an equal mix.
E-mail Address- livetwofish@att.net

#5 arkle

arkle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 03:19 AM

To make epoxy a bit more managable, try warming it up VERY SLIGHTLY so that the resin/hardener with become a trifle less viscous, it mixes and applies easier that way and is less likely to get air bubbles in it. It may also dry a bit quicker as well.