Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

raffia material

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 flygirl

flygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 01:08 PM

Anyone who isn't familiar with raffia....it's a transparent straw thats mainly used for basket/flower crafts. Lately it's been gaining popularity in flytying when used as wing material...Fly Tyer mag had some nice patterns they put on the cover of their ' Summer 2000 ' issue. I'm so happy....I just returned from my local 'A C Moores ' craft store with a Hula skirt.. blink.gif .. .yep.......a Hula skirt for $6 thats made entirely out of raffia...nice wide raffia smile.gif ...enough to last me a lifetime...AND...should I die before I get to use it all up .........then they can bury me in it!!!!! tongue.gif

#2 pickin6ofem

pickin6ofem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 01:38 PM

Ahh you know you want to wear it!! hysterical.gif hysterical.gif
May you find yourself in a crystal clear stream abundant with trout, the sun in your face and the wind at your back.................................................Jeff King

#3 Hot Tuna

Hot Tuna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:42 PM

"Sweet Hawaian sunshine....
She's the wacky island of the island's eye.
Sweet Hawaian sunshine....
You can hear the beach boys sigh as she goes by.
'Cause they all know she's a sweet little measure.
Who will keep on hugging until you die from pleasure.
I'm proud to say she's coming to me on the beach at Waikiki"
Jorma Kaukonen/Tom Hobson

biggrin.gif

#4 xspook2158

xspook2158

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:14 PM

I would use a lot more rafita, if I knew it would deplete a hula skirt . ROFL
Fly Tying is a school from which you will never graduate!

#5 Inconnu

Inconnu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 06:39 PM

See what you started?? Anyway thanks for the reminder! I had one of these downstairs somewhere for one of the challenge swaps and I had forgotten it. I need some for a pattern in an article I am writing and you just reminded me I have a plethora of it in a bag in the basemen....hmmmm might be quicker to go buy another. laugh.gif
Project Healing Waters flyfishing Canada,

#6 streamcaddis

streamcaddis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 12:15 PM

Isn't raffia the same as swiss straw?. I have been using swiss straw for years for nymph cases. The stuff is fantastic. yahoo.gif yahoo.gif

I was tying flies and fly fishing before it got trendy.