Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How I Marked My Tools

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 oatka

oatka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:15 PM

This month will be the 8th month that I've held a monthly fly tying party at my house. Twice we went fishing, so this will be the 6th time tying. Since we all share with everyone and sometimes have beginners join us that don't have tools and materials, it can be interesting to find tools at the end of the night.

So, I marked mine today.

Simply wrap thread around the tools and cover it with something. My "something" was Halloween nail polish with sparkles. Hopefully the nail polish will hold. I tried just thread before and it came apart real easily.

[attachmentid=11980]

Attached Files

#2 letumgo

letumgo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 03:18 PM

I'm going to do exactly the same thing to mine, before I come over...I could use a few more bobbins. biggrin.gif (just kidding)

That is actually a super clever idea. It's an easy way to identify which tools are yours at the end of the night. headbang.gif
http://www.flytyingf...gettyer=letumgo

Ray (letumgo) <)((((><<

#3 oatka

oatka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE(letumgo @ Oct 20 2007, 04:18 PM) View Post

I'm going to do exactly the same thing to mine, before I come over...I could use a few more bobbins. biggrin.gif (just kidding)

That is actually a super clever idea. It's an easy way to identify which tools are yours at the end of the night. headbang.gif

When will you be over and how many tiers will be with you? I want to make sure I get a big enough table! cool.gif

#4 Fly Tyer Guy

Fly Tyer Guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 03:28 PM

Mine are the ones that have a couple bottles of glue on each of them, And are covered in marker smile.gif

Great Idea!

Visit my website, My Webpage, A work in progress

Dustin Driscoll

#5 mnorton

mnorton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 03:44 PM

Oatka

can't resist ....suprised no one else has yet..........BUT does the color match your eyes or maybe your waders and vest j_k.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif
[s]TIGHT LINES AND SCREEMIN REELS YEE HAW

#6 oatka

oatka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 03:47 PM

mnorton, no, the color does not match anything else I have (well, except for some egg flies), but the orange thread, with sparkle nail polish might be just girly enough to keep the guys from walking off with them.

If you are really worried, use pink! wink.gif

#7 mnorton

mnorton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 03:51 PM

na not worried at all....It actually is a cool idea.....BTW pink is cool
[s]TIGHT LINES AND SCREEMIN REELS YEE HAW

#8 oatka

oatka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:51 PM

The kids tied for a few hours today with these tools, and the markings seem to be holding up. you know if they pass the kid test, then they should be fine!

#9 ILikeFish

ILikeFish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE(mnorton @ Oct 21 2007, 04:44 PM) View Post

Oatka

can't resist ....suprised no one else has yet..........BUT does the color match your eyes or maybe your waders and vest j_k.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif
- Josh Rittenhouse