Fly Tying
Dart

My camera is busted... and I need a new one.

My Canon A620 was dropped a week or two ago and it lost a couple buttons. We paid $400ish for it originally, but it can now be had for around $180. It's gonna cost me $100+ and a month's worth of time to get it repaired, so I'm considering buying a new one (I'm still trying to talk my wife into that one).

At this point, I'd settle for a simple point and shoot. The Canon A620 is 7.1 MP, but it is pretty thick which makes it impossible to tuck in a shirt pocket. I noticed that Graham posted about the Stylus 770, but that is a little more than I'm able to spend at this point. I DO like the waterproof and shock proof functionality of this camera though. As we've already broken 2 Canon's maybe I should get a camera made of titanium. :D

So, do you gurus have any recommendations of a camera with a good macro capacity (so I can post pics of my flies and continue to learn) as well as some sort of "weather-proofing" in the $200ish range?

Thanks,

Jeff

I hate to bump my own post... but I'm gonna do it anyway. :D

Does anyone have the Stylus 770? Is it worth the money, etc, etc, etc?

John, you do realize that if I have a camera that I will be enabled to further annoy you with my questions about my progression? :D

Thanks for the link, but if you want to recant your suggestion I'll understand. :hyst:

I think I'm just going to order one tonight. It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission, am I right? :devil:

John, you do realize that if I have a camera that I will be enabled to further annoy you with my questions about my progression? :D

Thanks for the link, but if you want to recant your suggestion I'll understand. :hyst:

I think I'm just going to order one tonight. It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission, am I right? :devil:

:help:

Jeff,

If your serious about buying the Pentax camera, I would suggest that you buy the newer version of the camera (W30) instead of the W20. Amazon has the W30 version listed for $219.06.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LXZYK...6622130-8912666

I bought the W30 version and am very happy with it, especially for taking macro photos.

During lunch today I discovered that the W30 will soon have a $30 dollar rebate offer. You may want to hold off a couple days to buy the new version and take advantage of the rebate.

Pentax_Optio_W30_Rebate_Form.pdf

I don't want to sound like a salesman, I just wanted to make you aware that after Oct. 18th, you can get the camera for less than 200 bucks. Hope this helps.

Awesome info guys. I really appreciate it. I'm gonna plead my case tonight!

Edit: Ray, you realize the the $30 rebate started on October 18, not November 18, right? Just wanted to make sure in case you got yours after Oct 18 so you could get some money back.

Well, we finally got a camera tonight. I had to compromise with my wife and we decided on an ultra compact... a Canon SD750... and while it looks awesome, I've been less than impressed with the pictures up to this point. I'm hoping that there's a setting that is fubared somewhere, so I'll look into it more tomorrow.

If it's not solved by tomorrow afternoon, it's going back and I'll try to track down another camera.

It's amazing how helpful cameras can be to aid you in learning to tie flies. Since my last camera broke... my progress has STOPPED! :(

Dart I am sorry to hear that your new cam is not working out! Post some examples for us. It would be good to check them out.

JayMorr

Will do Jay. It's an ultra compact, and from what I heard, it has great photos for its size.

It's 12:40 and I'm just walking in from a 14 hour day at work. I get to do it again tomorrow starting at 10:00 am. If I get up before then, I'll post a few pics, but honestly, I wouldn't expect anything from me for a couple of days. Retail blows during December.

For now, I still have the camera. I'll post examples here ASAP... Sunday noon at latest.

Jeff

Edit: 12/16/2007 10:32am EST: The pics will still be a while. I'm sleeping right up until it's time to go to work... and barely had time to post, but I wanted to follow up. I'll get the pics up, but it won't be today. :(