Fly Tying
tightlines

leadwing coachman

Does anyone have a link to a tie that they feel is a good imitation of this aquatic insect?

I have seen a coule that dont really look like it and rather than play around and make my own, I would like to see something that is already tied.

Thanks in advance

I used to tie these back in the 70's when I first started tying and fly fishing. I don't remember catching much on them in the smaller sizes but did o.k. on big ones during high water periods. They consisted of a weighted body, a brown hackle tail, peacock herl body, brown hackle throat and a set of lead gray goose wings. Real simple. They might look buggier and be more effective with a pheasant tail throat or a wrap or two of soft hackle. I'm not so sure that they represent anything inparticular.

I remember one high water day on the Brokenstraw Creek in PA when one of these big and ugly flys kept me from being skunked and produced a nice 17 inch rainbow.

Edited to add that with a peacock herl body, you should add a wind of wire or something to add a little durability to the herl or be ready for a fly that will easily self destruct.

I just visited my local fly shop today to buy some materials so I could tie up some Leadwing Coachman nymphs. I found a pattern and instructions in a book I just bought. The store manager told me that this fly is something of a classic and said I would enjoy tying them and fishing them. The book described this (and other nymphs tied with peacock herl) as good searching patterns.

This fly is on page 86-7 of Nymph Fly-Tying Techniques by Jim Schollmeyer, published by Frank Amato Publications. BTW, I find this to be an excellant book. I tied up a couple already, but I used different kinds of feathers than what they recommended, since I did not have the correct ones. I picked up brown hackle feathers and turkey feathers today.

I've promised to tie these for a Coachman swap on another website that I hang out on. I will be typing up the pattern and instructions in the next couple days. I can send you a link to those instructions once I get them posted.

Sketch mentioned tying something in with the herl to add some durability to the fly. The instructions that I have suggested simply making a thread loop (like you would for a dubbing loop) and then twisting this thread in with the herl. This forms the peacock herl into a sort of fuzzy chenille for wrapping the body of the fly. This thread loop also adds some strength to the herl, which does have a tendancy to break easily. Wrapping the body with a light gold ribbing would be another way to add some durability to the body, but I like the look of the twisted herl myself.

More later,

Ken S.

I have an old book, (but not nearly as old as me) that has a half a chapter on the Leadwing Coachman. The book is "How To Tie Freshwater Flies" by Kenneth E. Bay. The copyright date is 1974. Probably older than a lot of guys on this forum. Amazon says the book is no longer in print, but you might try checking your local library. In addition, Amazon lists a used book dealer that has a copy for a little over $2. The book gives step-by-step instructions and black & white photographs for bucktails & streamers, wet flies, dry flies, & nymphs. I have no monetary interest in this. YMMV.

Randall

I should have thought of it when I posted my previous reply, but I can give you the pattern, as listed in the book.

It says to use a #10 or #12 Model Perfect wet fly hook.

Tail: None

Tag: Medium Gold Tinsel

Body: 6 peacock herls. (These are tied in just ahead of the tag & then twisted together with a dubbing loop and wound around the shank.)

Beard: Brown Hackle Fibers

Wing: Mallard Quill Segments.

Hope this helps.

Randall

Another thing with these nymphs(isonychia), is they have a distinct white stripe that runs down the middle of the back and are strong swimmers. You might also check for patterns under White Glove Howdy and Slate Drake.

I just picked up a copy of the NY Conservationist and it had an article on flys from the 1880's. There she was the coahman and the leadwing coachman. Created by Tom Bosworth who was a coachman for the British Royal Sovereigns, Geprge IV, William the IV, etc. According to the article the only difference is that the lead wing was tied with dun colored wings. I think you can get the original picture and recipe from the Catskill Fly Tying Museum at www.cffcm.org

Ted