Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How do you tie off your parachutes?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Poll: Finishing off parachutes

How do you tie off your parachutes?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 mybadhabit

mybadhabit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

When I do it, I put a small piece of a small straw or swizzle stick on the bobbin and slide it over the hackle and whip finish, it holds the hackle back and doesn't damage it in any way. Blane

#47 natedubay

natedubay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:19 AM

If you get a really thin penetrating CA glue (I use it for finishing reel seats, it soaks into the wood and buffs to a high polish...), it doesn't bind or clump the materials at all, I just put one drop on and let it soak in. When i first took the poll, I was shocked to see only 5% of people did it my way, but then I started reading through... I do alot of dandelion-type parachutes and that's what I thought they were talking about. When I tie mine, I do them in big batches... imagine a piece of stretched mono with hackles every 2 inches. The way I set up my rig to tie them, there isn't any way to whip finish, so you can tie half hitches over the mono slowly, or glue them off. Once I started that habit, I started gluing all my parachutes, even the ones I was tying right onto the fly. Maybe bad habit, but it works for me.

My other bad habit is cutting thread with a razor blade instead of scissors. This is something I picked up from rod building, and people make funny faces when they watch me tie at shows. Not something I would recommend however.

#48 Crackaig

Crackaig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:44 AM

I must admit out of all the methods CA glue does seem to be the simplest way. If I ever find a way to handle the stuff without the usual comedic results I would probably use it. It was designed for BDR so the thing it sticks best is flesh. My skin seems to attract the stuff. Has anyone ever managed to empty a tube they haven't used all at once?

Cheers,

C.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd
by the clean end"

#49 Wavey1988

Wavey1988

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

I must admit out of all the methods CA glue does seem to be the simplest way. If I ever find a way to handle the stuff without the usual comedic results I would probably use it. It was designed for BDR so the thing it sticks best is flesh. My skin seems to attract the stuff. Has anyone ever managed to empty a tube they haven't used all at once?

Cheers,

C.

Yeah. A couple of times. Managed ot stick my hand to the cutting mat, when model building, on more than one occasion. 

#50 sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:56 AM

I tie off the hackle around the post, then whip-finish at the head.