Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

what reel for big bass

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Andrewfly fishing

Andrewfly fishing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:19 PM

What kind of real should I use on big bass. (reasonable price) dunno.gif
Andy Pandy (save the pandas)

#2 j. michael

j. michael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:57 PM

i know that the scientific anglers system 2 is really good compared to other quality drag systems it is cheap( $120 )
"the sport of angling used to be a genteel business, at least in the world of ideals, a world of ladies and gentlemen."
- the longest silence by thomas mcguane

"give a man a fish he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a life-time."

-buddist philosophy

"who can argue with big fish?"

http://kyflyfishers.ning.com/

#3 Catalpa_Joe

Catalpa_Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:05 PM

I use an Okuma Integrity & like it a lot.

#4 TerryLee

TerryLee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:15 PM

Are you talking about largemouth bass, striped bass or something else?

I fish primarily for largemouth bass and I get by just fine with Hobbs Creek reels from Bass Pro Shop. They go on special about every other month or so for around $40 bucks. I haven't had any trouble with mine, but mostly it just holds line. I use this reel on an eight weight and on a three weight rod and I like it a lot.

Hope this helps,

Terry

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

#5 Mr. Steelhead

Mr. Steelhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:10 PM

I love my Hobbs Creek Reels. Very nice smooth drag and good quality reel all the way around. Great price at 39.95 for the reel and 29.95 for spools. I have all three sizes and use them for everything from 2wt to 9wt.

#6 day5

day5

Founding member of Carp Unlimited, first meeting held at the Kalamazoo waste management plant...bring gloves!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:49 PM

I have 2 pflugers, trion 6wt and president 8wt. 70 for the trion 90 for the prez EXCELENT REELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I use them for salmon steelhead large and smallmouth carp pike etc.......
Genesis1:20
Click the picture below to visit www.streamersflyshop.com

I filled up two shopping carts late last night
The one was full of fishing gear, the other newcastle ale
The checkout-lady laughed and said 'You think you got enough'
And I said 'Yeah, You're probably right', and filled another two carts up
Gonna catch all the fish, Gonna drink all the beer, Gonna head outta town, We're not staying here
Might take all day, might take all year, Till we catch all the fish, Till we drink all the beer

Brad Paisley

Join me on facebook search: streamers fly shop

#7 Hairstacker

Hairstacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:17 PM

What kind of real should I use on big bass. (reasonable price)

If you're talking largemouths, just about anything. Even a big one isn't going to go on any blistering runs. Expect a relatively short slugfest. Given the heavier tippets involved (I use 15.5 lb test), just about any disk drag reel should work fine. The majority of the time, you'll be stripping them in anyway without getting them on the reel.

-- Mike