Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

Sniksoh's Slab Slayer

im gonna drop this one through the ice this weekend also but i think it will slay the slabs in the spring! :headbang:

i would greatly appreciate it if you could leave comments or suggestions on this fly

thanks, sniksoh

Guest Big E

I like it but depending how this is fished thru the ice it might not catch much. If you plan on just dropping this down the hole then you'll need some luck but if you plan on tipping it with some spikes or waxies, it would do the trick.

I ice fish alot for perch and my goto jig is a chartruese genz bug tipped with red spikes. This is quite similar. Late in the season (like now) the perch get real finiky and sometimes it gets real hard to guess what they want. Razzle dazzle usually works, such as a pimple dropper setup. I also find that I'm fishing in deeper water as well.

With all this in mind I would recommend perhaps finding some way of covering the exposed hook a bit. Watching perch on my underwater camera, they'll just swim by an exposed hook without even stopping. I would also throw some silver or gold tinsel on the body and create a more pronounced segmentation with the added benefit of flash. Lastly, I would add some weight (perhaps lead dumbell eyes or lead wire underbody) to get it back down to the school quickly when the bite is hot.