Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Newbie needs some ideas setting up work space...

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 INSilverado

INSilverado

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:20 PM

Anyone have pictures of their fly tying workspace/bench? I'm going to give this fly tying stuff a shot and was wondering how everyone organizes their tools, materials, etc. Thanks in advance!

-Jameson

#2 oatka

oatka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:29 PM

A while back I compiled a bunch of pictures of desks and put them together on 1 page. Take a look at it here. If you have dial up, it could take forever to load. There are a ton of desk pictures in it. Some really great ideas. Many of the desks are forum members, but not all of them.

#3 mtbbrian

mtbbrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:31 PM

I posted some pics of my area two months ago, see the post HERE
It's a 5'x7' corner of my basement.
I have made a few additions since I made this post, I have carpet on the floor now and have a shelf on the wall for my two rods that I also use to hang my wadders to dry.
The bench, as it were, is dresser I got from my sister who was looking to get rid of it. It's a great piece, it's from IKEA.
The biggest thing, is having a place that you can leave your stuff out.
Good Luck!
Let us know how things turn out.
Brian
cheers.gif
My Personal Photography Website...
http://www.mtbbrian.com
Photography Is An Act Of Life - Maine 2006
"Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." Henry David Thoreau

#4 mtbbrian

mtbbrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE(INSilverado @ Mar 18 2008, 12:20 PM) View Post

Anyone have pictures of their fly tying workspace/bench? I'm going to give this fly tying stuff a shot and was wondering how everyone organizes their tools, materials, etc. Thanks in advance!

-Jameson

Jameson,
Unless you have already added mine and I just missed it, feel free to add the two pics of my area to your collection.
I think I took out the wrong part of what I wanted to quote!?
Brian
"Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." Henry David Thoreau

#5 INSilverado

INSilverado

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE(oatka @ Mar 18 2008, 02:29 PM) View Post

A while back I compiled a bunch of pictures of desks and put them together on 1 page. Take a look at it here. If you have dial up, it could take forever to load. There are a ton of desk pictures in it. Some really great ideas. Many of the desks are forum members, but not all of them.

WHOA!! You're my hero Oatka! Very cool collection!

Like your workspace too mtbbrian. Oatka will have to add that to his compilation of pics.

#6 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,719 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE(oatka @ Mar 18 2008, 03:29 PM) View Post

Know whats really sad Mike....I look at that post and I could tell you what bench belongs to what member just by looking at the pic. Thats just strange laugh.gif

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts
http://www.youtube.c...khOaAHK7efc#t=6

#7 DeweyGreen

DeweyGreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:18 PM

Jameson a little advise.
Take the amount of room you think you'll need to tie flies then double or triple it . Then you Just might have enough. I dought it but you'll be close
Are we all just puppet masters floating our little fly puppets to an audience of fish ??
www.lrsa.org

#8 arkfisher

arkfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:43 PM

Here is a picture of what I started with. I built it myself and now am trying to sell it. I just didn't have enough room and when I found a new desk at an auction, I upgraded as can be seen in the 3rd and 4th pictures. Hope this helps.

arkfisher

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Catch and Release....zero limit..

#9 Fishyman

Fishyman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:19 PM

IPB ImageIPB Image
These pics are about a year old...It all fit...then. dunno.gif

Strange how tying materials seem to propogate when we sleep?

S.

P.S.
"Know whats really sad Mike....I look at that post and I could tell you what bench belongs to what member just by looking at the pic. Thats just strange"

I got about half of 'em and I could guess at a couple others...lol
That's what i think,...and you should too.

#10 oatka

oatka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE(steeldrifter @ Mar 18 2008, 03:56 PM) View Post

Know whats really sad Mike....I look at that post and I could tell you what bench belongs to what member just by looking at the pic. Thats just strange laugh.gif

Steve - I can pick out yours, and a few others too..........we need help. help.gif

#11 INSilverado

INSilverado

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:21 PM

Nice stuff fellas. Thanks again. I've got an idea or two and will post some pics when I get set up.

#12 INSilverado

INSilverado

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:36 PM

Well, I got an idea or two. My dad gave me this here trunk or whatever you want to call it. He used it for making wood arrows, which is what I WAS going to use it for. But since I use my actual workbench for arrows, I could use this for fly tying...

IPB Image

IPB Image

Or, I could use my good old workbench and these drawers that aren't being used for anything necessary right now. Decisions, decisions...

IPB Image

IPB Image

#13 purolohi kalastaja

purolohi kalastaja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:22 PM

If you have dial up, it could take forever to load.

COULD?!?!?! Oatka, I was able to mow 1 acre with a push mower while waiting for it to load.... hysterical.gif

I think you will find that each person on here has their own "ideal" set up. What works for me might not work for you. I would suggest figuring out exactly how mich space you have/will be allowed to have depending upon your living situation, and then try to figure out how to maximize that space.

"I enjoy fishing too much to risk my life at it. Death can really cut into your fishing time."
[indent=1]From On the Road by John Geirach (quoting A.K. Best)

#14 mtbbrian

mtbbrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:44 PM

There you go!
Looks like a great tying area in the making!
Brian

#15 madkasel

madkasel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 09:24 PM

For material storage, something that's worked very well for me is file folders/containers. I have one for fur and one for feathers (but am thinking I'll need to expand).

IPB Image

I've also worked up something pretty cool with pegboard that I'll share once I get a pic.
The precious stones in the queen's round metal hat glittered like jewels in a crown.