Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Tying Mylar tubing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mickalo

Mickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 03:38 PM

Hello,

I am new to the forum and recently took up fly tying, mainly tying jigs. I am working on making up some small
minnow jigs with Mylar tubing, jigs about 1/16-1/8oz

What is the best thread to using when tying this type of tubing on jigs?

thx's

Mike
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

ThunderRain Internet Publishing
Custom programing & Web Hosting Srv's

#2 dwiltshire

dwiltshire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 04:53 PM

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum. Loads of great help here with some great tiers; so sit back, get involved and enjoy.

I use Mylar on my salmon and seatrout tubes. I use 8/0 twisted, usually in black. I tie the bend-end first with about 10 wraps and then whip-finish. Then adjust the mylar to where you wnat it and tie in at the other end - this will then usually become the start of the wing... if that makes sense. I varnish the thread build up at each end to try to improve the durabilty...see below.

I hope that helps...and sort of answers what you asked. There'll be loads of other suggestions too, I am sure. wink.gif

Attached Files

#3 letumgo

letumgo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:00 PM

I tend to use 6/0 thread for most applications. I find that it works fine when tying in mylar tubing.
http://www.flytyingf...gettyer=letumgo

Ray (letumgo) <)((((><<

#4 Mickalo

Mickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:04 PM

Hi Dave,

thanks for the welcome. I've been wanting to get into to tying for long time and now have some time to really
get more into it.

What you've describe in your post is close to what I'm "attempting" to do. Here is an example of a similar jig I've come across that is close to what I'm doing, it's a Punisher jig. I do alot of "Float & Fly" fishing and these seem to work quiet well

IPB Image

I'd like to do something like this and maybe "dress" it up a bit more, similar to your jig example. Any suggestions or similar jigs examples would be kwel smile.gif

Mike
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

#5 Mickalo

Mickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:13 PM

Thanks, I got several Danville waxed 6/0 spools.

Mike

QUOTE(letumgo @ Mar 31 2008, 05:00 PM) View Post

I tend to use 6/0 thread for most applications. I find that it works fine when tying in mylar tubing.

#6 dwiltshire

dwiltshire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:16 PM

Browse your way through the site Mike - there's loads of examples to see. Look at the Fly Pattern Database - stacks of superb patterns of all sorts.

At the bottom of people's posts there's a 'my fly patterns' click - amazing the number of patterns people have shared.

Just give some new ideas a go. Make sure you post them on this site. Peolpe here are always supportive and helpful. Have fun biggrin.gif

#7 mswaterfowler

mswaterfowler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:49 PM

I am gonna have to tie some of those jigs, the crappie are bitin' headbang.gif
2 Corinthians 5:7: We walk by faith, not by sight.