Fly Tying
RexHunt

Life Cycle of the CaddisFly

Great job! You have Really hit the Niall on the Head with that Fly selection!!!!! :headbang:

tyrite

Nice cycle of flys! Looks like I've got a few new patterns to tie up!

nice job! Now how about some different colors. I saw some olive green and dark brown ones the other day. That's why I love Caddis, they come in such a variety!

Rex,

What is the substrate for the case you built, and what have you used as the protective materials in it? I have been thinking of doing some cased flies, but hadn't decided what to use to build the cases. I have done a few with multiple layers of Hard as Nails and very shortly trimmed hair. They look fairly good, but I want a more natural appearance.

Some of the materials actually utilized for the cases are small stones, sand and grass fragments cut to fit. I think the cases are beautifully done by the insects and can hardly believe the quality of work, definition and symmetry achieved by those that build with grass.

Thanks!

Ray

Hi

Harold I used yellow sand with some ground. I put on glue and I scatter sand from top around the hook. Latter I repeat the same operation. But I heard that it can use mix of difference dubbing, peacok and almost every material but then looks unnatural at least for me. But you now if in your river caddis have case with other materials for example wood any sticks or some like this. Then fly with sand case will be not effective. Certainly I've made a lot of errors in my post. Sorry for my language :wallbash: