Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Whats you vise

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

Poll: Choose your vise

Choose your vise!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#211 part270579

part270579

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

I use my hands :lol:
www.carpanglersgroup.com
www.dirtyhaul.com

#212 FlyFishin Fool

FlyFishin Fool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

I have a Dynaking Kingfisher that I modified to "sort-of" be a flat rotary.  I took off the head, cut off the arm just before the bend, replaced head.  It still gives the fly a bit of movement when rotated, obviously, but I really like it.

Posted Image
MH
FlyFishin Fool

#213 FlyFishin Fool

FlyFishin Fool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

Here is my DynaKing KingFisher that I modified to be a "flat rotary" vise.  I like it because I roll hurl, and marabou and more on my flies alot and it helps to be able to just hold the feather and rotate the fly and wind it up.  

And I took a foot pad off the bottom of my guitar footswitch and it fit perfectly. Dropped a little magnet on the base to hold hooks and beads. Thanks.

Attached Files

Posted Image
MH
FlyFishin Fool

#214 bkatz1

bkatz1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

renzetti for sure... 

"Why cant all fish be as aggressive as saltwater fish"

#215 sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:57 PM

Griffin vises are the best vises, y'all are just in denial...I tie from 10/0 down to 28 in mine with no issues at all, and the screw adjustable jaws are just ingenius.

#216 Gene L

Gene L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

I've never understood the desire to declare a "best" of anything.  Maybe a feeling of (perhaps) doubt?  I've owned several vises, including a Griffin Patriot.  It was a good vise, but not the "best" vise.  I don't even know what the criteria is for a "best" vise.  An excellent vise holds the hook securely.  And maybe lets you look at all sides of the tie, although I think that is a given with experience.  What more to ask than that?

#217 colotyer

colotyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:34 AM

I had a renzetti traveler since about 1997, never a problem with it.Sold it about a year ago.Bought a renzetti 2000series, In my opinion the best vise out there.

#218 singletrack

singletrack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

I just bought a Dyna-King Professional.  A really awesome vise.  I have been using it for a few months and has been great with everything.  Tied midges down to 20 and clousers up to size 8.  Holds like a champ.  If you set it in a flat position it acts like a rotary.  I like the versatility a lot. It is also just rock solid.

1795685_986196794741887_7607768665240485

Leaf Fly Fishing Equipment

Home of the Line Clip

www.leafequipment.com

#219 KOKOEK9

KOKOEK9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:23 PM

started in high school with a cheap pressed metal vise, soon quit 13 years ago started again with a Thomson AA then quit. started back up with a kit and a cheap Indian vise, later upgraded to a hardly used Griffin Spyder that I like. the AA was good but I do like the rotary feature

#220 oldtrout58

oldtrout58

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:29 AM

I'm down to five, in alphabetical order:

Dyna-King

HMH

Law

J-Vise

Nor-Vise

And yes, I use them all.

#221 bowmike

bowmike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:28 AM

Regal nuff said :)

A fish caught once and kept is a waste of a valuable resource....

#222 mojokayak

mojokayak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

Anvil Atlas