Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Whats you vise

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

Poll: Choose your vise

Choose your vise!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 airedale

airedale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE(Fly Tyer Guy @ Jul 10 2008, 07:05 PM) View Post

I've got a $20 vise from Cabela's that came with my beginners set. Reworked to make it ture rotary, it's served me well, it's over 5 years old. My dream vise is the Renzetti Masters!

I think that I got the same kit. I still am using the materials that I got from it. It seems to be a pretty good vice.
~Jim

"Don't look back... Something might be gaining on you!" - Satchel Paige

"Some respect the badge, but everyone respects the gun." - Al Pacino in "Righteous Kill"

#32 purolohi kalastaja

purolohi kalastaja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:44 AM

In my house we have two DanVises (the one I bought when I started, which I use and love, mostly, and the one I won for Rookie of the Year FTOTY last year, which my wife uses when she ties) and a cheapo Cabela's travel vise that I bought for my son to start out on.

I'm currently thinking of getting a new vise for myself. I like the inline rotary function of the DanVise, but I'm too hard on the jaws, and need something where I won't flare the jaws after a couple thousand flies. I tied on an HMH last night for a bit, and I liked it, but I'm not sure I could get used to the cam action of the rotary function. What I need to do is find a shop that has most every kind of vise and just st down and tie on them for a while to see what I really like.

-PK
"I enjoy fishing too much to risk my life at it. Death can really cut into your fishing time."
[indent=1]From On the Road by John Geirach (quoting A.K. Best)

#33 crappiekid24

crappiekid24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:48 AM

I have 2 vises a Danvise and a Renzetti Tube vise and I am happy with them.

#34 Spanky

Spanky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:50 PM

I started with one of the Cabela's standard kit with vise and tools in the wooden case. I recently purchased a Danvise and am enjoying it so far. I intend to use my simple Cabela's vise for travel ( Ihave something to do at night when away from home besides the boob tube) and hope to learn new techniques with the rotary feature of the Danvise.

One thing is for sure if any one is shopping for a new vise, check the threeads on this forum. there is a wealth of info from guys who know what they are doing. I learn so much here that I'm sure my tying would not have progressed as much anywhere else. Thanks to everyone for all the help and info you so kindly share with folks who have found an interest in a super addiction, oops I mean hobby. hysterical.gif laugh.gif

#35 cbinwindsor

cbinwindsor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:58 PM

I bought a Danvice to get into rotary with the intention of getting a "real" vice at some point. Well I've found it. I'm sticking with the Danvice despite constant razzing from my bro in law about having a plastic vice. I haven't found a thing it does wrong.

CB

#36 Runarsson

Runarsson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:38 PM

I started with an Indian "comes with the kit" vise. After that I bought a cheapo rotary, just to try what it was all about. After finding out what it was all about, the rest of the vises have all been rotary. Danvise, Griffin Montana Mongoose, Dyna-King Barracuda Jr and now a Dyna-King Barracuda Ultimate indexer. It has everything I want, with exception of air conditioning... but I guess you just can't have it all. :D

/Nick

#37 Crotalus

Crotalus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:46 AM

Been using a Renzetti Presentation 400 for the past 6 years or so and see no real need to change at this point.

I would like to pick up a Traveler for the kids to use at home and me on the road.

Joe

Please visit Predator Fly Outfitters.

8794809351_2a357d8e23.jpg
Predator Fly Outfitters

#38 DHise

DHise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 01:01 PM

I'm new here. Started on a Regal Inex and transitioned to a Regal Medallion. I have tied on a LAW vise for the past 7 years or so. The LAW is one of the simplest and best vises I have ever used.
"Vegetarian" is an Indian word for "bad hunter"

http://castersonlineflyshop.com

#39 miked

miked

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:54 AM

I've been tyin on a DynaKing Baracuda for the last 4-5 months. Bought it to replace a renzetti traveler i sold to a buddy starting out. Took some getting used to but I love the vice!! It's great!

Mike

#40 DHise

DHise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:57 PM

My vices are beer, fly tying and a few other things cheers.gif
"Vegetarian" is an Indian word for "bad hunter"

http://castersonlineflyshop.com

#41 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,478 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:38 PM

Renzetti Travler non cam model for the past 18 yrs and never saw a need to change.

The best vice out there...is the one your comfortable tying on! wink.gif

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#42 beaverfsu

beaverfsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:01 PM

Started on a Thompson A, moved to a Dyna-King Kingfisher. Very happy with the DK in all aspects. If my skills and habits outgrow the Kingfisher (doubtful), DK will still be my brand of choice.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan circa 1985

#43 lykos33

lykos33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 04:46 PM

So I am on the phone complaining to my wife that the lousy Canada Post still hasn't delivered my vice. I hear the box slam and I drop the phone (not pleasing the wife in the process) run to the box and guess whats there...my new Dan-vice from Hilltop. Whatta bummer , I am leaving at 4:00 in the a.m. so I do not get to play with it for 2 weeks. The only thing I see a little off is that I cant seem to get the rotary part to lock down really tight. Any suggestions from Dan-Vice owners? yahoo.gif thumbup.gif kicking.gif
I'll fish for anything I tell ya!!!
Murray Buck

#44 tequilatrout

tequilatrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:58 PM

Renzetti Traveler

"The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be."

Javier AF

#45 DeweyGreen

DeweyGreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:55 AM

I'm sure everyone has a reason thier vise is the best. and all the vises listed here are good.
A few things to think about before you buy a vise.
1st How much money do you want to spend.
2nd what do you want to do with your vise(tie at home,take it on the road)
3rd What do you want to tie with it.(size 22 drys or size 2 streamers or bigger salt water flies)Then you Make your choice.
4th find someone(if you can)that has the vise you want and try it out and see if it's what you really want and that you are comfortable with.

I didn't have a choice,My wife bought both my vises. 1st a cheep learning kit then an Apex Anvil,I loved them both and can tie everything I need or want to tie on them.
Are we all just puppet masters floating our little fly puppets to an audience of fish ??
www.lrsa.org