Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

using sili skin

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mcfluffchucker

mcfluffchucker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:48 AM

hi all any hints tips patterns etc for using sili skin

thanks

#2 Fred H.

Fred H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:15 AM

before you press two adhesive sides together ensure that there is no stretch to the material. Dampening your fingers will aid in handling the material.
"My head is a prison, my times on the water are conjugal visits" Fred Hannie

visit my website http://www.realisticflytying.net

#3 mcfluffchucker

mcfluffchucker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (Fred H. @ Oct 23 2008, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
before you press two adhesive sides together ensure that there is no stretch to the material. Dampening your fingers will aid in handling the material.

thanks fred

#4 DHise

DHise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:36 PM

What are you tying with it? It is difficult to use until you get used to using it. I use it for grubs, caddis larva, worm patterns, and others.
"Vegetarian" is an Indian word for "bad hunter"

http://castersonlineflyshop.com

#5 flytyinfreak

flytyinfreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 12:54 AM

I found an article in an old fly fishing/tying mag that was about the guys who invented it and they showed 2 patterns, the minnow that comes in the package and the second a :"gummy" stone fly. I tied a few GSF's for a box raffled off at apresentation dinner for our club last year ( Tracy fly fishers ) www.tracyflyfishers.org pretty cool pattern. don't remember the article I'll see if I can find it tomorrow, meanwhile the article recommends using lotion on your hands just prior to handling the skin . I found that advice advantageous. more to follow it's late and I'm beat, ganight john boy!
Acts 4:19,20 :But Peter and John replied, "Do you think God wants us to obey you rather than him? We cannot stop telling about everything we have seen and heard."

#6 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 07:31 PM

Here's some that I do up.

Under body is E-Z Body tubing with sili-ski folded over it. These are designed to imitate silversides.

Same with this batch, though the smaller one are sili skin folded over the hook

This one was just for fun, though I may fish it one day.

I've tied up some of the gummy stoneflies but we don't have many in my neck of the woods. There's a Harry Steeves pattern where he uses sili skin as the underbody that he folds foam over. I've done some caddis pupae with it, but prefer spinner bait skirts(sili-legs) for them as it makes a better segmented body

#7 saltydancindave

saltydancindave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (flytyinfreak @ Oct 25 2008, 01:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I found an article in an old fly fishing/tying mag that was about the guys who invented it and they showed 2 patterns, the minnow that comes in the package and the second a :"gummy" stone fly. I tied a few GSF's for a box raffled off at apresentation dinner for our club last year ( Tracy fly fishers ) www.tracyflyfishers.org pretty cool pattern. don't remember the article I'll see if I can find it tomorrow, meanwhile the article recommends using lotion on your hands just prior to handling the skin . I found that advice advantageous. more to follow it's late and I'm beat, ganight john boy!

Have a bunch of the sili-skin stored away in a box of synthetic materials & it's next to impossible to get a gummy minnow over 1 1/2" long because the skin puckers when it's removed from the backing sheet & doesn't stay flat. I'll wait to tie anymore until I see what article you have to print out, plus get the lotion mentioned to dampen the fingers. It's pricey stuff to be throwing away, other than that the actual steps to applying the skin seems easy enough. bugeyes.gif

#8 JRG

JRG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:18 PM

I tied a few flies using sili skin and wrapping a body for caddis etc. They looked good but after awhile the sili skin broke down on all of them or ripped apart the whole length of the body. Anyone else notice this? Some of the flies are pretty old but I just did some a few months ago and the same thing. Perhaps my sili-skin is too old now??

#9 DHise

DHise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:28 AM

QUOTE (JRG @ Oct 26 2008, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tied a few flies using sili skin and wrapping a body for caddis etc. They looked good but after awhile the sili skin broke down on all of them or ripped apart the whole length of the body. Anyone else notice this? Some of the flies are pretty old but I just did some a few months ago and the same thing. Perhaps my sili-skin is too old now??

Did you stretch it a lot? This happens more frequently when the material is over-stretched. Here are a few patterns with sili skin incorporated in them.

Medusa Worm Cluster

Sili Skin Caddis

Ooeey Gooey Grub

"Vegetarian" is an Indian word for "bad hunter"

http://castersonlineflyshop.com

#10 steelie

steelie

Steelie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:35 PM

Good Day,

In a word, patience. Too fast with this material and you will hate yourself and the material pretty quickly.

In fact I would suggest a different material all together - Crystal Skin. The primary reason, IMHO, is that Crystal skin is more forgiving than Sili Skin. If you make a mistake, you can (carefully) separate the material and "fix" it. This is nearly impossible with Sili Skin. Crystal Skin also comes in a variety of thicknesses and colors including glitter(s). And a big selling point for many folks... it is about half what Sili Skin costs. J. Stockard carries it:

http://www.jsflyfish...ystal-Skin.html

Steelie
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.
Bill Cosby