Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

custom rotary tying vise!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 matt duarte

matt duarte

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:40 PM

well crap i had a long post written up and i messed up by pressing (Ctrl V) instead of copying it so ill keep it short and sweet.. ive been using the stock vise that comes with the tying kit at bass pro shops... not wanting to spend 300 bones on a rotary i thought id try and make my own... i used the sotck clamps from the stock vise and went from there... i used a big bolt for the main shaft and a long nut to make it a "rotary".. and it actually works! and since its a nut and bolt it allows me to place the bobbin in the bobbin holder and simply turn the vise 360* and it will thread the hook foward and backward! well heres the pic.. i still need to weld the stand on so i can put it in the stock "C" clamps but you get the idea... let me know what you think if you have a ny question just ask!.

#2 Old Hat

Old Hat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:55 PM

Ingenius! Nice job.

"Always drink upstream from the herd."

http://www.oldhatflytying.com

#3 matt duarte

matt duarte

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:22 AM

thanks oldhat! ill be finishing it up to day making the base for it.. not sure if i want the c-clamp style or the other style yet... might just end up using the stock c-clamp to make it easy... but a custom aluminum base would be awesome!

#4 Redwings1

Redwings1

solid technique with a dash of style

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,405 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:38 PM

Very cool! Since you got it this far I would keep a strainght shaft so you can switch back and forth from a clamp base to a screw collet on a pedestal base as the situation may require.
-Mike Schmidt of ANGLERSCHOICEFLIES.COM

IPB Image

#5 matt duarte

matt duarte

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:43 PM

defently a good idea! the best of both worlds