Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Bead Organization

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you organize your beads?

How do you organize your beads?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Olórin

Olórin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (Kytroutbum @ Nov 6 2008, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been using them for several years. Seed beads, bar bells, mono eyes, etc. I had to use clear tape to keep the lid from slipping off. Great organizer though.
I use the little "tic-tac" containers as well. I have also had problems with the lids being loose and having to tape them. I put a piece of clear scotch tape on the side and write the size of the beads/dumbbell eyes in the container. If I change the contents I can easily remove the tape for a new label. Usually I can tell the size differences but sometime (even with glasses) they are hard to distinguish.

- Olórin

- Olórin

#17 FishyboY

FishyboY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 03:29 PM

my fly tying stuff is in no organization.

as the note on my math teachers desk says:

"neat people don't make the amazing discoveries that i do!"
Proudly Tying on a Renzetti 2200 Traveler Cam Model with Base

Fishyboy's Fly Pattern Database Submissions

#18 jimmywhiplash

jimmywhiplash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 03:44 PM

My beads came in one of those lead shot dispenser a pretty neat idea as it keeps all your beads organized

#19 the saltydog

the saltydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:37 PM

I picked up up a nice bead organizer at Michael's craft store, also foam too. Take a look at their selection in the beading area, there are more bead storage solutions then you will need in a lifetime. My alternate favorite place to store beads is in the air conditioning duct vent, its very convenient, I can just let the beads roll to the end of the desk and then drop into the vent - then I can go retrieve more at the fly tying store.

#20 Roll Q___Cast

Roll Q___Cast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:18 PM

I too like J.D. and tyrite use the CraftMate organizer. (Tic-Tac type containers) purchased from "Dollarama" a discount store nearby. One is dedicated for beads and another for small dry fly, scud & nymph hooks. Excellent little organizers for the price. thumbsup.gif

I Fly-tie for the relaxation; Flyfish for the freedom; Cast to the challenge; Land if I'm so blessed and Release to re-live it ALL!

#21 smokinprice

smokinprice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:29 AM

I found a container at Walmart that is supposed to be used to house nuts and bolts on a work bench. Great stuff...thats what I use.

#22 Inconnu

Inconnu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:29 AM

I use one of these;

I picked it up at Lee Vallet Tools in Edmonton. I use Bead Nabbers to pick them up and I use the needles with collapsible eyes for stringing them.
Project Healing Waters flyfishing Canada,

#23 E. Oregon Midge

E. Oregon Midge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:45 PM

I use the multi thing because my beads are fairly large

Rocky

Attached Files

You are what you eat and i don't eat chicken By Rocky
The best advice i can give you is SLOW DOWN By Bud Gudry

#24 Hillbillyredear

Hillbillyredear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:57 PM

Mine is exactly like yours I got it at Walmart and it was very inexpensive.

QUOTE (JustinDavis @ Nov 6 2008, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I found this great organizer at Wal-Mart (where you can find anything)
and they work great for my bead organization.
They each have a small opening, and I write on the side with a sharpie to denote the kind of bead, size, color, etc.

What do you think?

Justin

Hoosier Lure Craft

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
~Mark Twain~

#25 lonewolve

lonewolve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:17 PM

Hi Guys,
I buy my beads {tapered Hole} for flytying by the gross {1000 beads} at a time in the various sizes up to 5/32" down to the lil 64ths size, i use a pro hook box it has a curved bottom in each compartment and also has lil ridges on the inside of the top so that your beads don't go mixing into other compartments. I also label them with mailing labels cut to fit each lil compartment and write their size and color on that lil tab also if its tungsten or not.It also has a decent latch that doesnt open when you drop a box full of hooks or beads resonably, i mean ya cant go off like a tourister gorilla or anything.

When it comes to hooks i have the same boxes used for most if not all my hooks and i do the same thing as well i used to have the umpqua hook boxes but when they fall or get knocked over you are screwed.i can't tell ya the number of times i spent sorting beads by size,as well as sorting hooks after i dropped or knocked a box over.

for my money you cant beat the pro hook boxes i have about 15 of them and need to get more because i have some hooks that need to be put in them,I took the former umpqua hook boxes and decided to use em for fly storage when i travel i usually carry them with me so i have extra flies incase i run out.There isnt always a fly shop thats nearby or open when ya need one.
Tight Wraps
Rick Wallace

#26 kennyx

kennyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:46 AM

QUOTE (Kytroutbum @ Nov 6 2008, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been using them for several years. Seed beads, bar bells, mono eyes, etc. I had to use clear tape to keep the lid from slipping off. Great orghanizer though.

i have the exact same thing and had the exact same problem.. but i only paid under $3 (was on sale) so rolleyes.gif

#27 Driftless6

Driftless6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:06 AM

Heres mine keeps everything organized enough for me my dumbbell eyes and chain eyes are in a box of there own

#28 David Legg

David Legg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:03 PM

I store mine two different ways... I use Craft Mates storage with the locking lids, and on the floor around my tying area. When selecting the ones on the floor, I generally place my heel directly on top of one with all my weight. After hopping around for a moment on the other foot and chanting the secret words, I pick it off my foot and carefully transport it to the staging area to await use. I am trying to convert more and more to the Craft Mates.
The great thing about catch & release is that the fish can live to grow even larger.
In fact, I've known some fish to grow quite a bit larger before the fisherman even returned home

#29 ChuckingFluff

ChuckingFluff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:47 AM

I just started to use these watch maker containers, not expensive and very handy.

Watchmaker's cases
><)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))(º >> ><))(º>

#30 troutdogg

troutdogg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (David Legg @ Jan 26 2010, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I store mine two different ways... I use Craft Mates storage with the locking lids, and on the floor around my tying area. When selecting the ones on the floor, I generally place my heel directly on top of one with all my weight. After hopping around for a moment on the other foot and chanting the secret words, I pick it off my foot and carefully transport it to the staging area to await use. I am trying to convert more and more to the Craft Mates.

David, do you catch more fish with the beads that got stuck to the bottom of your feet? Just curious if trout actually use their olfactory senses to key in on a food source.............. hysterical.gif
So much to do and so little time in which to do all..........