Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JustinDavis

OBD Soft Hackle (Olive Bead Double)

:rolleyes: I like it. Nice tye. You know I think this fly would work for the 40" Amur (Grass Carp) I tried to get all summer. I'll tie it for next summer. :bugeyes:

Good lookin' fly. I've tied a double soft hackle bead head on a curved caddis hook for years, killer on Brookies, but never tried double beads. Going to give this a try. Thanks for posting.

I personally have no idea, as I have never fished an actual soft-hackle.

Perhaps, "Soft Hackle" could give us an idea.

Justin

Since this fly has two beads, it's weighted well. It can be fished by casting upstream, follow the progress with the rod tip; letting it sink to the point where the fish is or is suppose to be. Then check the rod's progress, and let it rise in the current by itself or with lifting the rod. OR you can actively retrieve it using a hand-twist retrieve, raising the rod slowly- at any point in the drift you think a fish is- while gently rocking the rod back and forth in your hand. This is often very killing.

You could also use it very much like a nymph, using the high stick method.

Mark

Since this fly has two beads, it's weighted well. It can be fished by casting upstream, follow the progress with the rod tip; letting it sink to the point where the fish is or is suppose to be. Then check the rod's progress, and let it rise in the current by itself or with lifting the rod. OR you can actively retrieve it using a hand-twist retrieve, raising the rod slowly- at any point in the drift you think a fish is- while gently rocking the rod back and forth in your hand. This is often very killing.

You could also use it very much like a nymph, using the high stick method.

Mark

Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind.