Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Flies from the vice.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2534 replies to this topic

#2521 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:02 PM

I was tying up some weighted stonefly nymphs, when I noticed someone left the lid off my fly can. So I had to tie up another dozen of these.

Opps, almost forgot, here are the stonefly nymphs too. They ride hook up.

Attached Files

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#2522 Guest_Leteras_*

Guest_Leteras_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:05 PM

Here are a couple of my flies from my vise. The caddis is called Luminous Maximus and it glows in the dark and the other is my semi realistic black stonefly. I have caught quite a few steelhead on both of these.

Attached Files

#2523 Nate

Nate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:37 AM

From time to time I find it helpful to go back and review basics. I recently bought one of Charlie Cravens books on beginning fly tying even though I have been tying off and on for a LOOOOOONG time. Just getting seriously into making them perfect now rather than just fishable. That being said I spent an hour or so watching TV and tying a dozen size 20 and a dozen size 22 brassies. Tonight I will do a dozen more in each size of red. Next up...ZEBRA MIDGES and POISON TUNGS. Bighorn trip with our 7th and 8th grade flytying club kids on the 20th...I am sure they will all disappear from my box to some kids on that day...thats GOOD thing.

#2524 jhammer

jhammer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:57 PM

I've been tying these little guys in sizes 8-12.

Attached File  Flies_2_002.jpg   1.99MB   33 downloads

#2525 FlyFishin'Jam

FlyFishin'Jam

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:08 PM

FlyFishin',

Many of the digitial cameras have color correction, and there are editing programs you can get (some free,) on the Internet, that will clean up and color correct, white balance etc.

Flies look pretty good to me.

Thankyou for the hints, i tried a little white balance, now i just have to figure a way to install either my camera's software on my work computer or install it at home sometime and have a play. At home should be easy :) So i will try that on the w/e.

Anyway i tied up some more of these Anadromus clousers, seemed to work really well for steelhead in high, dirty water.

Attached File  227730_10150260211363313_673118312_8348440_1646429_n.jpg   65.15KB   41 downloads

*edit* with the new format here, i guess i have to re-size images to a decent size to view now? Everything seems Giant. Oooops, *edit i think i fixed it*

#2526 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:28 PM

I have never seen a catalpa worm, but I have found the tomato worm in my crops. So here is a take on the tomato worm. Kind of reminds me of the Hookah smoking caterpillar from Alice in Wonderland, or maybe Jefferson Airplane.

Attached Files

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#2527 Proly99

Proly99

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:23 AM

I'm tying Georgous Georges, Octopuses, Black and olive palmer of my own creation, damsels, Hairy Mary, Blue charms and Snatchers, I'm especially enjoying the wets though loads o skill involved

#2528 Nate

Nate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:34 AM

Okay so in my continuation of working my way through Charlie Cravens book and in view of our fly fishing club trip down the Bighorn on Friday this week I am now on fly number 4...
1st was brassies
2nd was zebra midges
3rd was zebra midge emergers

Up this week from Nates fly bench (kitchen counter) will be RS2's....olive, tan, and adams grey size 18 and 20

#2529 KHoss

KHoss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:52 PM

warmwater stuff...

Posted Image

#2530 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:26 PM

can't believe that this topic that has been running for 3 years just suddenly vanished back in May. Let's keep this going.

test

#2531 kayaklloyd

kayaklloyd

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:19 PM

Interesting thread!
I have been working on this fly for well over a month, and I am about to put head cement on it and call it a fly. My first Ronn Lucas hook, so you can see why I would take my time on this one.
Phew!!!
SheZ

That is a work of art. I have been tying for several years, mostly rough looking trout or steelhead flies that fish. Would love to learn to tie like this.

#2532 kurto

kurto

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:25 PM

I am new to tying salmon and steelhead flies. These are a few I recently tied. Some are I saw here some I used ideas I got from what I have seen on this and other sites.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Freedom is Never Free

http://www.wilsonriverrodntackle.com

#2533 BuzFly

BuzFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:14 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

A Flies that I been tying a lot of for the Stripers in the NE Surf......
Brad
Brad
Support your local clubs

#2534 planettrout

planettrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:46 AM

Soft Hackle Stones...

Posted Image

INYO WINSTONE (capnia Inyo)

Posted Image

RAT FACED SPIDER – Pettine / Variant…Tilted view

Posted Image

BROWN HOLO STONE – Egry-Davies / Variant…Tilted view…

Posted Image

MIRAGE COPPER SEXY STONE – Gauerke / Variant…Tilted view…

PT/TB ;)
Daughter to Father, " How Many arms do you have. How many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

#2535 nick2011

nick2011

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:20 PM

i have been tying baby crayfish patterns in olive. im hoping too catch some nice trout through the ice with them.. i also tied some larva
nick sipe