Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Musky Flies

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Buzzby

Buzzby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:45 PM

Anyone have fly pattern suggestions for muskies ?

#2 Brian Brown75

Brian Brown75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:58 PM

A freakin huge minnow or perch pattern made from big abnoctious colored congo hair or 3/d fibers and sparkly stuff
LIVE TO TIE, TIE TO LIVE

#3 j. michael

j. michael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:07 PM

This isn't the best forum, check out the warm water forum, but flies tied large 6in. to 15in. are best having synthetics and naturals. You should now how to tie "hollow eyes style" because this way it has more "push" in the water. You should also try googling it. I would highly recommend the book "Muskie on the Fly" by Robert Tomes from "Wild Rivers Press."
"the sport of angling used to be a genteel business, at least in the world of ideals, a world of ladies and gentlemen."
- the longest silence by thomas mcguane

"give a man a fish he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a life-time."

-buddist philosophy

"who can argue with big fish?"

http://kyflyfishers.ning.com/

#4 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:08 PM

I don't know from experiance, but i hear that clouser minnows are big goers for musky (tied in a minimum size of no. 1)
“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
~Archimedes

Darwinism seems to have become a politically protected sacred cow, and I've never seen a sacred cow I haven't wanted to roast - the fact that you are not supposed to criticize it is just too irresistible to me.
-Angus Menuge

Visit my blog, North Fly, and leave a comment if the mood takes you

#5 Buzzby

Buzzby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:32 PM

Thank you all

#6 Hillbillyredear

Hillbillyredear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:55 PM

This is a Musky/Pike Pattern I tied awhile back called a string leech. Mine were tied on a 4/0 hook with a 4/0 trailer hook. The body and tails are all rabbit zonker.

Hoosier Lure Craft

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
~Mark Twain~

#7 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:57 PM

Here's a perch pattern I tied up for pike. Something like it should work on muskies.

Attached Thumbnails

• Perch_Tiger.jpg

#8 kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:21 AM

Here's what I tie. 10/0.

Posted Image

#9 Old Hat

Old Hat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:53 AM

This is my "Wookie" pattern that I use for bass, but have been told it would work good for what your after. It is in the pattern database.

KodiakSalmon - those are sweet!

P1030638.JPG

"Always drink upstream from the herd."

http://www.oldhatflytying.com

#10 kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:39 AM

Thanks OH. I'm glad when people like them and aren't, "those aren't flies because you use blades and grub tail...." (Which I do get alot...even on here.) Oh well.

But thanks. I like them.

Jeff
Posted Image

#11 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:57 PM

I like them. I'll have to try them on a smaller scale for pike and smallies. Do you get much twist in your leader. I've notice that on some my flies that have props on them.
"those aren't flies because you use....". They say the same thing about my poppers and such that I use treble hooks on.

#12 kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:35 PM

Nope, no line twist because I use a swivel clasp on my leaders.

HA, I had a guy on here tell me that my flies aren't legal in "fly only" waters because they had more than one hook on them, and the blades would make them qualify as spinner baits. LOL, I told him that as soon as they put pike and muskie water under fly only status I'd start worrying. Until then I'm good to go! Pshaw...."purists." rolleyes.gif
Posted Image

#13 rich mc

rich mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:26 PM

for musky flies look up bill shieres site wetieit.com he even sells larger wire weedguards and diving lips for crankflies. he is in northern wisc. rich

#14 day5

day5

Founding member of Carp Unlimited, first meeting held at the Kalamazoo waste management plant...bring gloves!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:45 AM

Philly also try a micro swivel between your leader and steel tippet. I use micro swivels on all of my streamers. they are so small I cant see any reason not to.
Genesis1:20
Click the picture below to visit www.streamersflyshop.com

I filled up two shopping carts late last night
The one was full of fishing gear, the other newcastle ale
The checkout-lady laughed and said 'You think you got enough'
And I said 'Yeah, You're probably right', and filled another two carts up
Gonna catch all the fish, Gonna drink all the beer, Gonna head outta town, We're not staying here
Might take all day, might take all year, Till we catch all the fish, Till we drink all the beer

Brad Paisley

Join me on facebook search: streamers fly shop

#15 kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (rich mc @ Jan 4 2009, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
for musky flies look up bill shieres site wetieit.com he even sells larger wire weedguards and diving lips for crankflies. he is in northern wisc. rich

Have you worked with those lips before? On the website they've got them displayed and appearing to have a molded curve to them. I ordered some and they get here and they're not rigid at all like I expected, but are flat, flexible plastic just punched out of a sheet. Not upset, just not what I expected based on the pic on the website.

Do you know how to mold them? Heat I guess, but I with the few I have, I hate to experiment and ruin a couple before I figure it out...

Posted Image