Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
siestafred

Veiled Egg

I tied this for steelhead fishing, but I fully intend to give it a go for trout next spring wherever I can.

Veiled Crystal Eggs have been around for a time now, but this one reverses the colors with the darker color on the outside to give a different 'opaque' look.

:P

hey SF.............I fished some "flashy" steelhead flies for trout a few years ago.......the water was up and stained......and wouldn't you know it.........I was catching fish on halo-eggs and estaz eggs.........it is always worthwhile to try something new...........of course I was fishing for stocked trout........but they hammered the fly and turned a fishless day .........into a pretty good one.........my dad was laughing at me when I tied on the estaz egg.........and laughing even harder when I started catching fish !!!!!!

gonna try reversing the colors on a few ties................never gave it a thought............thanks

Interesting to hear that 2b. I think all trout have "egg recognition" in their feed DNA, although we mostly seem to key in on caddis, mayflies and terrestrials.

Cheers.....Fred

SF....

I have long been a lover of Glo-Bugs at any time of the year............rainbows love eggs.......brookies too.......and sometimes browns.......once while fishing Penns Creek...........I was with a very awesome fly fisher and a rookie fly fisher.........we were awaiting the evening hatch........I grew tired of swinging emergers and switched to an egg....the rookie laughed..........and the awesome fly fisher said: glo-bugs again...........I said yes.........10 minutes later I landed a nice rainbow...........aside from summer drought.............I think a trout will eat an egg pattern..........and I share your egg recognition theory!!!! I have landed some hefty trout on glo-bugs.................

again, thanks for the thinking outside the box pattern.........

2b

Very Nice!

I love sparkly egg patterns for some of those steelies.

I like a pattern I tie. I don't know if you'll be interested. I'll post the pattern soon.

It's a egg pattern with egg yarn veiled over it. It very well resembles a single egg encased in sperm. So it's a very natural looking pattern. It proves to be deadly. Just drift down the bottom of a deep run, and bounce on the rocks. When you see steelhead tailing, I've noticed they are feeding on nymphs and eggs. So thats your sign!

Keep that reel screaming!