Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

B. Wyatt's Snowshoe Hare Emerger

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 KevCompton

KevCompton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:57 AM

Wyatt's Snowshoe Hare Emerger

Hook: Dohiku G #12-18.
Thread: Fly D&K 80, Brown.
Rib: DMC Embroidery Floss, Brown-Olive.
Body: Blend of Olive Hare's Ear Fur and
Medium-Olive Seal's Fur.
Indicator: Snowshoe Hare, Hot Orange.
Wing/Post: Snowshoe Hare, Blue Dun.
Thorax: Hare's Ear Mask Fur, Natural.

*Wyatt also ties this pattern with a deer hair wing.

Kevin D Compton
www.performanceflies.com

Easy wind going 'cross the Bayou today,
And the river keeps a talkin',
But you never heard a word it said...
-- Robert Hunter & Jerry Garcia.

#2 Houndog

Houndog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:32 AM

Well done cool.gif

Jeff

#3 Chase Creek

Chase Creek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:03 AM

Great looking fly. Like the combination of snowshoe/blue dun a lot.
Thanks for posting.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold

#4 DavidR

DavidR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:49 AM

Now that's a sweet looking fly - would catch me in a fly bin.

#5 Old Hat

Old Hat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:23 AM

I really like the combination of colors and textures on this pattern and it still retains a great profile.

"Always drink upstream from the herd."

http://www.oldhatflytying.com

#6 siestafred

siestafred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:04 PM

Very nice tie !!

thumbsup.gif

#7 troutninja

troutninja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:34 PM

very nice fly! I especially like the body color. That's a beautiful blend and I'll be stealing the idea for my own patterns. devil.gif

Well done!
"The world is full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the further one gets from Missoula, Montana."
- Norman Maclean (A River Runs Through It)

#8 Firetiger

Firetiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:02 PM

I agree with troutnijna. The abdomen and thorax look awesome. I prefer CDC to snowshoe hare; the pattern looks so nice I will try to substitute CDC for showshoe hare.

#9 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:52 PM

nice tie yahoo.gif
love the colors
“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
~Archimedes

Darwinism seems to have become a politically protected sacred cow, and I've never seen a sacred cow I haven't wanted to roast - the fact that you are not supposed to criticize it is just too irresistible to me.
-Angus Menuge

Visit my blog, North Fly, and leave a comment if the mood takes you

#10 flycaster

flycaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:44 PM

Kev- Bob Wyatt is underappreciated in the States. His emerger is a simple trout magnet. As usual, you've put your own twist on a fly. One question, though, as I usually fish these guys upstream: since the indicator material is behind the wing, I'm not sure I would see it. Do you fish dries and emergers downstream, or can you pick up the color either way?

Chuck

#11 KevCompton

KevCompton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for all the comments, guys.

Chuck,

Thanks for the great question. And I agree -- Wyatt's patterns are less familiar/appreciated by tiers in N. America. For anyone interested, here is a link to some of his patterns:

http://www.danica.co...yatt/rwyatt.htm

The "Indicator". I should have called it something like, "The Attractor". So the pattern recipe is misleading, in a sense. Although the hot orange SSH might help to sight the fly, it's really there as an 'attractor' for the fish. How so? When I was looking thru Leeson & Schollmeyer's book, Tying Emergers, I noticed that only a couple patterns, with some exceptions, incorporated an indicator-like feature -- a bright hot spot/heart, a fluorescent post, a fluorescent CDC loop-wing, or whatever. The color white, though, was occasionally used. So many of the emergers looked like 'semi-dries' -- abdomens submerged, thoraxes in the film, and wing/post/hackle/CDC on the surface & above. The Klinkhammer is a great example. So are the 'loop-wing' emergers. But then I came across Gary LaFontaine's Halo Mayfly Emerger (which has a hot orange deer hair wing) in that book and the fly led me back to his discussion of the pattern in his own book, Trout Flies: Proven Patterns. In talking about the Halo, he said:

The triggering characteristic on the Halo Emerger is the spike of fluorescent orange deer hair canting upwards. Never mind that it is a wild, improbable exaggeration of the budding wings on the emerging nymph. The spike is a great attention grabber...the spike of orange deer hair looms into the trout's window of vision, an exaggeration of unfolding wings, but it also pokes out of the water, presenting a clear silhouette against any glare.

It was after reading this that I decided to put a 'twist' on Wyatt's pattern. I reached for the hot orange SSH -- both for the reasons LaFontaine explains and in hopes that it would also help to buoy the fly. But if it helps to see the pattern on the water in the latter half of the drift, that's great, too...A hot-orange SSH wing would also be an interesting twist.

I hope this helps, Chuck.

By the way, LaFontaine also designed a dry fly which is hackled, in part, with orange-dyed rooster hackle, called the Flame-Thrower.

I've also heard (???) that hot orange works well on some dries on the Gunnison River in Colorado.

Who knows...?

Here is a photo of the Halo Mayfly Emerger:

Kevin D Compton
www.performanceflies.com

#12 Redwings1

Redwings1

solid technique with a dash of style

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,405 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:13 PM

Good stuff Kevin. That dash of color as both an indicator and strike enticer is killer!
-Mike Schmidt of ANGLERSCHOICEFLIES.COM

IPB Image

#13 flycaster

flycaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:04 PM

Of course! I completely forgot about Gary's halo emrger. Thanks for your detailed response. BTW- ever fish the halo and, if so, how did it work?

Chuck

#14 KevCompton

KevCompton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:58 AM

If anyone is interested in reading a forum discussion about Snowshoe Hare -- patterns, its history in fly-tying, and much else -- check this thread out:

http://outdoorsbest....hread?id=792795

Kevin
Kevin D Compton
www.performanceflies.com

#15 Soft-hackle

Soft-hackle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:36 PM

Hi Kev,
I really like this fly. You've done a super job and it would make Bob very happy, indeed.

Bob's book, Trout Hunting is in my library and I definitely appreciate his work. I've read through the book three times already. He's got some super patterns inside, and the photos by Hans are exquisite as always. I recommend it to everyone.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

Personal Page Flymphs,Soft-hackles & Spiders Flymph Forum