Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Peacock Herl hand wrap or hackle pliers

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: Peacock hear Hand or Pier

Do you wrap hand wrap or use hackle pliers

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 jimmywhiplash

jimmywhiplash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:08 PM

just wondering? do you all twist the peacock herl before wrapping it on to your fly?

#17 flyline64

flyline64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (jimmywhiplash @ Jan 24 2009, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just wondering? do you all twist the peacock herl before wrapping it on to your fly?

I almost always twist it, usually around a strand of thread for support. If not, I usually run the thread up and back through the wrapped herl in widely spaced loops.

#18 smalltownfisherman

smalltownfisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:18 PM

I'm a hand-wrapper biggrin.gif
Genesis 1:20

"Then God said,'Let the waters abound with an abundance of living creatures..."

I have been absent from this forum for about two years. I am very glad to be back!

If there are fish to be caught, then I am most likely out on the water!
~The one and only StF.

#19 smalltownfisherman

smalltownfisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:21 PM

Oh and I sometimes twist it. Depending on the situation.
Genesis 1:20

"Then God said,'Let the waters abound with an abundance of living creatures..."

I have been absent from this forum for about two years. I am very glad to be back!

If there are fish to be caught, then I am most likely out on the water!
~The one and only StF.

#20 Futzer

Futzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:40 AM

Joe O, we should talk, pm me your phone # so I can call and chat, cheers, Futzer.
Tie a man a fly and you give him fresh air, some exercise and a lot of fun. Teach a man to tie flies and eventually it takes over all free time, a room in his house and several thousand of his dollars.

#21 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:34 PM

I ALWAYS hand wrap
Always breaks when i do it with the hackle pliers wallbash.gif wallbash.gif
“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
~Archimedes

Darwinism seems to have become a politically protected sacred cow, and I've never seen a sacred cow I haven't wanted to roast - the fact that you are not supposed to criticize it is just too irresistible to me.
-Angus Menuge

Visit my blog, North Fly, and leave a comment if the mood takes you

#22 Gustav F.

Gustav F.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:53 PM

For crying out loud, hands!!! Hands all the way. You should never wrap multiple fibers/feathers using a hackle plier, it just f*cks up.
"Fishing is just en excuse for being there"

Common sense and a tint of moral is long sufficient.

#23 Timerollson

Timerollson

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:55 AM

Hand twist it with a piece of thread and hand wrap it. Rarely breaks and lasts a long time.

#24 the saltydog

the saltydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 04:10 PM

I twist it around my working thread, then wrap it with my rotary vise or add a twist for every wrap if using a non-rotary vise.

#25 DevinKaradeema

DevinKaradeema

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:09 AM

when tying a pattern that calls for the hurl i leave a long end of thread when i first tie on so that after i wrap the hurl i can run that back over the hurl. i have never twisted peacock and never used the loop. i tried the pliers when i first got them but its a pain in the ass to have to go back and tie in a new strand just to have it brake under the pliers.. hands all the way
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

#26 bigdewy

bigdewy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 03:48 PM

Twist the herl around the thread and hand wrap. Never lets me down; Wish I could say the same for my casting!! hysterical.gif

#27 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:45 PM

It's all in the technique and making sure the hackle pliers have no sharp edges. For tight thick peacock herl streamer bodies, like Edson Tiger light, I have found no way to make a really good one without pliers. Five or six herls reinforced with a strand of thread, then twisted into a chenille-like strand makes a beautiful body. It has to be wound just tight enough, and then wound on the shank just tight enough. Too tight or too loose, and it goes to crap. For one or two strands of herl for a midge body or whatever, of course that is not necessary.

the gales of November remembered...

#28 ThaSandman

ThaSandman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:28 PM

Hand-wrap. Although I have incorporated many of the methods already mentioned here. Started wrapping it around the tying thread, but then started to advance the thread only halfway, wrap the herl, tie it in, and advance the thread the rest of the way, and continue with the herl. Lately (since buying a dubbing loop tool), I have started using a dubbing loop.

However, I still like the look of untwisted herl the best....

#29 DickAvery

DickAvery

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (JoeO @ Jan 23 2009, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I find that when using peacock herl that hand wrapping save lot of aggrivation especially when using multiple strands.
I have several types of pliers and with all of them I have broken the herl and end up just using my hand