Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Gulf 0f Mexico - southwest Louisiana

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chemprof2001

chemprof2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 01:14 PM

I managed to make my first trip to the Gulf of Mexico this year, this past Saturday. I went down more or less just to see how thngs were looking. May & June have been very wet here, with lots of rain. I checked out the beach to try some surf casting, but quickly discovered that the water is so full of srgassum seaweed, that the surf is essentially unfishable. (I caught 20+ lbs of seaweed in just two casts!) This happens when we have consistent east and southeast wind here. That is where the rain has been coming from, so things are a mess. The water visibility was also horrible, less than 4 inches...my estimation is that it will be at least 3-4 weeks before the beaches around here return to normal...which means visibilities of about 6-8". If i could order up 3 or 4 days of north wind to blow all this stuff offshore and get some clean water, I would.

I then moved to some protected areas, near some marshes, but the freshwater moving out of the marshes had muddied things up there somewhat as well, and I hadno luck. Looks like I better stick to inshore fishing for a while. i don't even have to leave town to do that, here, there are two estuarine lakes in town that are accessible, so that looks like what I'll be doing for a while.

Mark Delaney
So much water, so little time!!
http://chemprof.trip...om/fishing.html

#2 striblue

striblue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 03:48 PM

Sorry to hear that Mark...but atleast we are getting some reports from around the saltwater country...looking forward to your next which hopfully will be productive for you.