Fly Tying
dryfly purist

How to make a woven body - step by step

This is a step by step of Crocheting (not shure how to pronounce it).

I`ve used far thicker antron yarn than normaly is used, just so it can be

shown well on the picture.

When you do this, split the antron yarn in 1/3 of the original thcikness for mayflies emergers but usually don`t split the yarn for caddis emergers.

If you use to colors make shure the color you want on top of the fly comes on the right side of the hook

TY INN TO PIECES OF ANTRON YARN

heklinga.jpg

TIE IT BACK TO THE HOOK GAP

heklingb.jpg

TURN THE VISE AROUND TOWARDS YOU, WITH THE HOOK EYE POINTING DIRECTLY TOWARDS YOU. MAKE A LOOP WITH THE DARK YARN (TOP YARN) OVER THE HOOK AND UNDER THE YARN ON THE OTHER SIDE.

heklingc.jpg

TAKE THE CROCHET NEEDLE DOWN TO THE LOOP HOLE, UNDER THE HOOK AND GO UP AND GET THE YARN ON THE OTHER SIDE. TAKE IT WITH YOU THROUG THE LOOP ON THE DOWNSIDE OF THE HOOK.

heklingd.jpg

DRAG IT THROUGH......

heklinge.jpg

LIKE THIS

heklingf.jpg

TIGHT KNOT....

heklingg.jpg

REAL TIGHT

heklingh.jpg

NOW MAKE A NEW LOOP BUT THIS TIME UNDER THE HOOK AND OVER THE YARN ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE HOOK....

heklingi.jpg

GO WITH THE NEEDLE FROM UNDER THE LOOP, THROUG IT AND OVER THE HOOK....

heklingj.jpg

GET THE YARN FROM THE OTHER SIDE BY TAKING IT WITH YOU OVER THE HOOK AND TRHOUGH THE LOOP

heklingk.jpg

LIKE THIS.....

heklingl.jpg

TAKE BOTH YOUR HANDS AND MAKE ANOTHER TIGHT KNOT....

heklingm.jpg

KEEP UP THE SAME PROCEDURE FROM PICTURE ONE AND IT WILL BECOME SOMETHING LIKE THIS........

heklingn.jpg

Hello Terje, excellent step by steps, and the photography is very easy to see and follow. You have helped many new tyers to learn this technique, I am certain. Keep up the fine work.

Crocheting is pronounced Kroh shee ing, if you join at www.dictionary.reference.com it has the option to hear the pronunciation on your computer.

Hope that helped. Cheers Futzer.

QUICK, Some-one pin this so it is easy to find!

I just hope that my pea brain can get it right when i get some time to try it out.

Thank-you for the instructions!

Terje,

Thanks again for posting this step-by-step. I am doing more and more woven flies using different methods, and this is one I was having problems with, until I remembered your tutorial.

Thanks again!! I'm headed to Crested Butte, Colorado, http://www.visitcrestedbutte.com/index.cfm, for Christmas and New Years along with all of my family which includes four young grandchildren, 7 to 12 years of age, four fly vises, lots of embroidery thread, feathers, and deer hair. Between skiing, eating, relaxing, and enjoying life, we are going to be weaving a lot of flies. I'm going to learn your method well (I hope) and teach it to the kids. They love tying and fishing!!

I live in sun-baked, hot in the summer, 100 to 110 or 115 degrees in the summer, Texas, but I've had a place in Crested Butte for 31 years, a place where the coldest I've seen it is -30 below and white outs while skiing, and never really hot.

Ray

Terje,

Thanks again for posting this step-by-step. I am doing more and more woven flies using different methods, and this is one I was having problems with, until I remembered your tutorial.

Thanks again!! I'm headed to Crested Butte, Colorado, http://www.visitcrestedbutte.com/index.cfm, for Christmas and New Years along with all of my family which includes four young grandchildren, 7 to 12 years of age, four fly vises, lots of embroidery thread, feathers, and deer hair. Between skiing, eating, relaxing, and enjoying life, we are going to be weaving a lot of flies. I'm going to learn your method well (I hope) and teach it to the kids. They love tying and fishing!!

I live in sun-baked, hot in the summer, 100 to 110 or 115 degrees in the summer, Texas, but I've had a place in Crested Butte for 31 years, a place where the coldest I've seen it is -30 below and white outs while skiing, and never really hot.

Ray

Hi Ray.

That was really good news :D

I wish you all the best and it´s really nice to hear that you are teaching this method to the younger generation as well :D

Take care

Terje

Great tutorial, learnt a technique that has been eluding me for a while.

Thank you - Merry Christmas