Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How Many Seasons Do You Tie For?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: How many seasons ahead do you tie for?

Do you only tie flies for your next trip, or are you looking down the road?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:35 PM

since living here, I slack off in the summer when all the water gets too hot and slimy to bother with. Right now we're in the tail end of the really good bass and crappie fishing in the local ponds, which is Jan-Feb. Next month there will be 3 weeks or so of good topwater action for bass, and that is fun even though I've never been able to really care much about largemouths. March-Apr-May is prime time for some of the lakes I fish in Florida for bluegills, so that is coming up. I'm hoping to possibly get home to Pennsylvania in June, which would be almost perfect for smallmouths and walleyes in the Allegheny, so I need to tie more stuff for that.

I've always tended to really tie for what I can fish at that time, or what is coming up in the near future. Right now I'm working on stocking up on my favorite bluegill flies, and tying some saltwater patterns which I hope to be able to use for Florida panhandle stuff pretty soon.

the gales of November remembered...

#17 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:57 AM

QUOTE (day5 @ Feb 21 2009, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (riffleriversteelheadslayer @ Feb 21 2009, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
there are seasons?

DUH! rolleyes.gif
Winter steelhead
Spring steelhead
Ice out Pike
Ice out perch
Trout opener
Spring bass
Spring bluegill
Post spawns carp
Pre spawn smallies
Pre spawn largies
Summer largies
Summer run steelhead
Summer carp
fall coho
Fall smallies
Fall bluegill
Fall steelhead
Winter steelhead

It looks like I tie for 18+ seasons

guess thats where I been going wrong I just tie for species plus my home river is open to trout all year guess if I were to divide it into seasons it would be pre spring turkey season post turkey season pre deer season post deer season

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#18 day5

day5

Founding member of Carp Unlimited, first meeting held at the Kalamazoo waste management plant...bring gloves!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:12 AM

You fish for turkey and deer? LOL!!!
Genesis1:20
Click the picture below to visit www.streamersflyshop.com

I filled up two shopping carts late last night
The one was full of fishing gear, the other newcastle ale
The checkout-lady laughed and said 'You think you got enough'
And I said 'Yeah, You're probably right', and filled another two carts up
Gonna catch all the fish, Gonna drink all the beer, Gonna head outta town, We're not staying here
Might take all day, might take all year, Till we catch all the fish, Till we drink all the beer

Brad Paisley

Join me on facebook search: streamers fly shop

#19 DeweyGreen

DeweyGreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:16 PM

I start tying something for the season opener then find myself tying stuff that won't work till summer or fall.
Then I keep tying till I get tired. sleeping.gif
Are we all just puppet masters floating our little fly puppets to an audience of fish ??
www.lrsa.org

#20 Futzer

Futzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:30 PM

Well Matt, You did forget January tail water ultra midge 32s for pretty trout, hysterical.gif Cheers, Jeff.

QUOTE (day5 @ Feb 21 2009, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (riffleriversteelheadslayer @ Feb 21 2009, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
there are seasons?

DUH! rolleyes.gif
Winter steelhead
Spring steelhead
Ice out Pike
Ice out perch
Trout opener
Spring bass
Spring bluegill
Post spawns carp
Pre spawn smallies
Pre spawn largies
Summer largies
Summer run steelhead
Summer carp
fall coho
Fall smallies
Fall bluegill
Fall steelhead
Winter steelhead

It looks like I tie for 18+ seasons

Tie a man a fly and you give him fresh air, some exercise and a lot of fun. Teach a man to tie flies and eventually it takes over all free time, a room in his house and several thousand of his dollars.

#21 riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE (day5 @ Feb 22 2009, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sure due just tie up a corn kernel fly pitch it out there with a 50# leader connected to the trigger of the shot gun puts them right in range hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#22 smalltownfisherman

smalltownfisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (riffleriversteelheadslayer @ Feb 22 2009, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (day5 @ Feb 22 2009, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sure due just tie up a corn kernel fly pitch it out there with a 50# leader connected to the trigger of the shot gun puts them right in range hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

lol.gif lol.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif Thats a good one! banana.gif banana.gif banana.gif
Genesis 1:20

"Then God said,'Let the waters abound with an abundance of living creatures..."

I have been absent from this forum for about two years. I am very glad to be back!

If there are fish to be caught, then I am most likely out on the water!
~The one and only StF.

#23 riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:36 PM

Attached File  001.JPG   3.21MB   28 downloads
here is my secret deer and turkey fly Matt I tied this one for you I will give it to you at the show hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

#24 tyininmontana

tyininmontana

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:20 PM

i love to tie so if that means tying hoppers in january im gonna do it. and it is really nice not getting bummed losing a fly knowing i spent 2 bucks on it. now i just know ive got another 2 dozen of them at home.