Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

how good of a tyer r u really and how do you feel about your tying whe

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

Poll: WHAT KIND OF TYER DO U CONSIDER YOURSELF 2B (596 member(s) have cast votes)

How good of a tyer do you consider yourself and do you ever question your tying abilities

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 iso18

iso18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:53 AM

was just wondering,because i am constantly critquing my flies when i try new techniques and often get frustrated with the whole outcome.but then come tommorrow,i will be right back at it with a different attitude trying to improve on my shortcomings.
shane

#2 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:39 AM

a crappy tyer,just happy tying flies that catch fish

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#3 Valhalla 1

Valhalla 1

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:31 AM

I went with "A decent enough tyer to catch fish and finding yourself critiquing your work and half the time thinking there is room for improvement"...but I have to wonder how others would rate our abilities in a blind test. I could be greatly over-confident in my skills, or riffleriversteelheadslayer may be over-humble about his.
The most valuable thing I've learned about fly fishing is just how little I really know.

#4 Futzer

Futzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:25 AM

I don't feel that there is anything I can't tie, but occassionally I have "bad hand days" Cheers, Futzer.
Tie a man a fly and you give him fresh air, some exercise and a lot of fun. Teach a man to tie flies and eventually it takes over all free time, a room in his house and several thousand of his dollars.

#5 flyfishingtaz

flyfishingtaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:41 AM

simply put...if they'll catch the fish, they're good enough. I see too many people obsessed with proportions, and how it looks. Is it the fish, or the fisherman whos' eye your tryin to catch? half my flies look like a piccaso, but who cares. The fish sure dont, and to me, thats what matters most.
I love farm ponds!! You can catch gills all day, and not care about hooking into a bigger

MY BLOG

#6 agn54

agn54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:07 PM

I have only been tying for less than a year so at this point I am a crappy tyer just happy tying flies that just catch fish.

#7 crappie

crappie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:43 PM

I tie to catch fish. I have had other folks tell me they like my flies.
MY PTN have longer tails and thinner boies than commerically tied flies.
I use red,m gold and silver mylar for wing cases for flashbacks.
I have use peacock, biots and turkey wing feather barbs for wing cases also.

Crappie

#8 day5

day5

Founding member of Carp Unlimited, first meeting held at the Kalamazoo waste management plant...bring gloves!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:43 PM

Im almost as good as Oatka!
Genesis1:20
Click the picture below to visit www.streamersflyshop.com

I filled up two shopping carts late last night
The one was full of fishing gear, the other newcastle ale
The checkout-lady laughed and said 'You think you got enough'
And I said 'Yeah, You're probably right', and filled another two carts up
Gonna catch all the fish, Gonna drink all the beer, Gonna head outta town, We're not staying here
Might take all day, might take all year, Till we catch all the fish, Till we drink all the beer

Brad Paisley

Join me on facebook search: streamers fly shop

#9 Bruce Derington

Bruce Derington

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:21 PM

I'm with Futzer on this one, good days bad days, also, I'm not a fast tier, and not necessarily a slow fly tier, I guess I'd have to say I'm a half fast tier cool.gif

#10 Nick Hgs

Nick Hgs

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:32 PM

I usually don't tie my beard into the fly I'm working on. What more could you ask for?

A more serious answer:

I tie ugly flies for fishing, and I can do a lot better if I take all the time I need to do a nice looking fly.

I'm good enough to wish that I had a magnifying glass and perfect light, so that I can do better flies when I'm gonna take pictures for the web.

I'm not good enough to be satisfied with my flies when I take pictures of them with macro, and look at the result.

But I still upload my flies to forums sometimes, if I think there's an interesting idea in the fly.

Tying ugly flies would never make me stop. I think it's in our nature as fly tiers to never stop.

If I'm unhappy with the result, Ill just try again. If I'm happy with the result, I'll try to make it even better. If I think that I made the perfect fly, I'll reconsider what's perfect, and start all over with a fly that I'm not happy with.

#11 Brian Brown75

Brian Brown75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:33 PM

I consider myself a good tyer because i can do anything in the book and then some if i wanted to and i like to learn easier new techniques and the hard ones frustrate me SOMETIMES and i do have my goo days where i can tie anything and my bad days where i can barely fire off a decent wooly bugger. It all just depends on the mood im in
LIVE TO TIE, TIE TO LIVE

#12 teck

teck

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:13 PM

Picked decent, but do critique alot. and wind up picking apart atleast the first two of a new pattern.

Teck

#13 Futzer

Futzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (day5 @ Feb 20 2009, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im almost as good as Oatka!

I hear Oatka is slacking lately, something about too much fast food and Burger King Nightmares, Hmmm Sorry, could not help myself. Bad Futzer, Bad.
Tie a man a fly and you give him fresh air, some exercise and a lot of fun. Teach a man to tie flies and eventually it takes over all free time, a room in his house and several thousand of his dollars.

#14 tye2fly

tye2fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:04 PM

i have actually cought fish on more fly's with flaws than ones that look picture perfect, i think fish are more apt to strike on flies that appear to be hurt or damaged. atleast that makes me feel better when a fly does not come out perfect
May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.

#15 Dale

Dale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:24 PM

Awwwww . . come on Day 5, none of us are as good as Oatka!! He gives us all something to aspire to and I for one need that!!
Catch and release is the best thing to ever happen to liars like me!