Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

how good of a tyer r u really and how do you feel about your tying whe

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

Poll: WHAT KIND OF TYER DO U CONSIDER YOURSELF 2B (596 member(s) have cast votes)

How good of a tyer do you consider yourself and do you ever question your tying abilities

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 iso18

iso18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:51 AM

well,what a relief it looks like the majority r right there where im at.Decent,while critiquing and getting frustraed with new techniques.I also feel i can tie any fly,its just that it may take me a minute and i am never satisfied.For insatance just tied three new patterns out of hatches and cant stop obsessing about them but a couple of my friends looked at the flies and say they look like the ones in the picture,but i knew where i had trouble when tying them and where i could've should've did better and quicker.........I also have ocd,i wonder if this might be a little of the problem.
shane

#17 DeweyGreen

DeweyGreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:05 AM

As long as what I'm tying catches fish or atleast gets them to rise on drys or hit a nymph I'm happy.
But I always like a challange with something new untill I get it right.
Are we all just puppet masters floating our little fly puppets to an audience of fish ??
www.lrsa.org

#18 smalltownfisherman

smalltownfisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:16 PM

I try to tie to the best of my abilities and I sometimes get frustrated with new techniques.

My 2 cents, smalltownfisherman
Genesis 1:20

"Then God said,'Let the waters abound with an abundance of living creatures..."

I have been absent from this forum for about two years. I am very glad to be back!

If there are fish to be caught, then I am most likely out on the water!
~The one and only StF.

#19 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:39 PM

I'm an excellent tier! However, only within the context of the type of tying I do. New things do present challenges, that's why I try new things, but I rarely get frustrated, and never say I can't. I know I can always figure it out. Every fly starts with the basic techniques, and I've been tying for a long time, so it's done without having to think about it. Special techniques, may challenge me, but again, I'm confident I can tie anything!

I also tie flies for fishing! They're intended to be used & catch fish with them. I've tied a few flies for display, but never got into anything real fancy. For example, I've never tried full dress salmon flies or ultra realistic flies. Not my thing. I know I could if I wanted to, and it would take some time to perfect, but I'm sure I could do it. I enjoy learning, but there are some things I just have no desire to pursue at this point. That may change in the future, but I'll think about it then.

#20 iso18

iso18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (tidewaterfly @ Feb 21 2009, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm an good tier! However, only within the context of the type of tying I do. New things do present challenges, that's why I try new things, but I rarely get frustrated, and never say I can't. I know I can always figure it out. Every fly starts with the basic techniques, and I've been tying for a long time, so it's done without having to think about it. Special techniques, may challenge me, but again, I'm confident I can tie anything!

I also tie flies for fishing! They're intended to be used & catch fish with them. I've tied a few flies for display, but never got into anything real fancy. For example, I've never tried full dress salmon flies or ultra realistic flies. Not my thing. I know I could if I wanted to, and it would take some time to perfect, but I'm sure I could do it. I enjoy learning, but there are some things I just have no desire to pursue at this point. That may change in the future, but I'll think about it then.

on the same page with u there.every fly i tied for ftoty was a new fly i had never tyed,with the exception of 2.I guess like some o\have said,i have great days and horrible days at the vice,just mayb e need to remember to take my klonopin before starting a new pattern.

shane
p.s. i changed excellent to good to fit my description of my opinion of my tying in your quote.

#21 day5

day5

Founding member of Carp Unlimited, first meeting held at the Kalamazoo waste management plant...bring gloves!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:51 PM

If the first selection had the words " and dead sexy" added to them it would almost be identical to my wikipedia page!
Genesis1:20
Click the picture below to visit www.streamersflyshop.com

I filled up two shopping carts late last night
The one was full of fishing gear, the other newcastle ale
The checkout-lady laughed and said 'You think you got enough'
And I said 'Yeah, You're probably right', and filled another two carts up
Gonna catch all the fish, Gonna drink all the beer, Gonna head outta town, We're not staying here
Might take all day, might take all year, Till we catch all the fish, Till we drink all the beer

Brad Paisley

Join me on facebook search: streamers fly shop

#22 iso18

iso18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (day5 @ Feb 21 2009, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the first selection had the words " and dead sexy" added to them it would almost be identical to my wikipedia page!

LMAO hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

#23 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:22 PM

I figure it like this I have gone to the river with friends pulled out my flybox selected a fly started tying it on to hear my friends say wtf is that? and start laughing being the nice guy I laugh and say go ahead I will follow you guys at the end of the day when I am looking at the fish I caught I answer with guess I will call that fly successful

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#24 shezli

shezli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:11 AM

Weather I am trying to catch fish or fishermen with my flies I am constantly trying new tecniques and finding myself frustrated often. Usually I just take a step back from the vice, take a breath, and then pounce when it's not looking.
If that doesn't work try again.
smile.gif
S

#25 Fred&Ruth

Fred&Ruth

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:45 AM

when I tie a new fly I take it over to my friends at the fly shop and they look at them and say well they will catch fish!!!!
I am usually happier at the outcome than the better tiers I have critique them but they are right they do catch fish. I have only been at this since last summer so at this point what more can I expect I know that next year my flies wil look a lot better. I have been told that when you compare say an adams from last summer to one you will tie a year from now there is no comparison. I cant wait fred
life is tough but its even tougher when you are stupid(John Wayne)

#26 Hillbillyredear

Hillbillyredear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:45 PM

I chose not to vote because there really isnt a catagory that fits me. In my opinion there is no such thing as a crappy tyer. I strive to learn new things every time I tie. I tie to hook the fish not the human eye. To lable one as a crappy tyer to me would be an insult to the effort a person actually puts into the art.
If I were tying for show and tell this would be a differant story, but I could really care less as long as they catch fish.
I consider myself as a Good tyer who does not obsess with perfection and ties to lure the fish not the human. Add that to the list and I might consider voting.

Hoosier Lure Craft

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
~Mark Twain~

#27 tyrite

tyrite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:26 AM

I don't really no how good of a tier I am!! I don't consider my self to be a bad Tier but cant consider my self an excellent ether!!!!!!!!!

tyrite (Glen Dayton)
Dubbing, Hair & Feathers Tying Flies Is What I Do The Best!
By Glen Dayton........ 36 somerset st, Trenton Ontario Canada
Email @ tyrite01@yahoo.ca phone 1-613-970-3385
www.tyritecustomflyshop.webs.com/

#28 iso18

iso18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:33 AM

QUOTE (Hillbillyredear @ Feb 22 2009, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I chose not to vote because there really isnt a catagory that fits me. In my opinion there is no such thing as a crappy tyer. I strive to learn new things every time I tie. I tie to hook the fish not the human eye. To lable one as a crappy tyer to me would be an insult to the effort a person actually puts into the art.
If I were tying for show and tell this would be a differant story, but I could really care less as long as they catch fish.
I consider myself as a Good tyer who does not obsess with perfection and ties to lure the fish not the human. Add that to the list and I might consider voting.

I dont know how to edit a poll.Can't seem to find the way to do it,or i would add that.Sorry,hillbilly.
shane

#29 Hillbillyredear

Hillbillyredear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:18 AM

No Problem you dont need to edit the poll on account of me. Those are just my views, not everyone has the same opinions and we all tie differantly and have our own methods that work for us.

QUOTE (iso18 @ Feb 23 2009, 01:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Hillbillyredear @ Feb 22 2009, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont know how to edit a poll.Can't seem to find the way to do it,or i would add that.Sorry,hillbilly.
shane

Hoosier Lure Craft

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
~Mark Twain~

#30 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:16 PM

I think I am a fairly good tyer, new techniques do sometimes get me frustrated.
“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
~Archimedes

Darwinism seems to have become a politically protected sacred cow, and I've never seen a sacred cow I haven't wanted to roast - the fact that you are not supposed to criticize it is just too irresistible to me.
-Angus Menuge

Visit my blog, North Fly, and leave a comment if the mood takes you