Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

cheap materials

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 jimmyboy

jimmyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:56 PM

was looking around my house for fly tying materials, you know the random stuff you just find. i found dental floss, it was oral-b satin and it was thin and flat. i started tying and what do you know it produced a quill like body. havent tried dying yet but it is white so it should work. will post pictures later.

#2 jimmyboy

jimmyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:16 PM

does any one else know any thing that you would just randomly find laying around your house that can be used for fly tying.

#3 DeweyGreen

DeweyGreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:21 PM

Black and white cat hair . English springer hair. Pit bull tail hair. just to name a few. hysterical.gif
Are we all just puppet masters floating our little fly puppets to an audience of fish ??
www.lrsa.org

#4 skyphix

skyphix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:05 PM

Yep, dog hair is common in my flies. As is dryer lint as dark gray dubbing.

strange yarn my wife got for a craft project, nail polish for lacquer heads, clear coatings otherwise, or painted eyes or dots.

old christmas tinsel for flash.

I think thats all I've used from the house (So far anyway).
Eric

#5 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,446 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE (jimmyboy @ Feb 25 2009, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
was looking around my house for fly tying materials, you know the random stuff you just find. i found dental floss, it was oral-b satin and it was thin and flat. i started tying and what do you know it produced a quill like body. havent tried dying yet but it is white so it should work. will post pictures later.

wait til you hit a craft store! rolleyes.gif
Fly tiers sure have a way of making things complicated

#6 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,167 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:14 PM

pillow stuffing from throw pillows works great for coarse dubbing whistling1.gif whistling1.gif whistling1.gif so I have heard

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#7 flykid

flykid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:19 PM

Also, if you have a pull chain (like from a fan or light) break, you can use the chain for eyes.
E-mail Address- livetwofish@att.net

#8 Rp3flyfisher

Rp3flyfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:24 PM

When my wife buys a blouse, there are small rubber like pieces in the shoulders that are used to help hang them. She gives them to me, and they are just like Scud back material. I use it for my scuds and my Czech Nymphs.

I also us my dogs hair for dubbing. She is a white dog, so I can dye it almost any color I want.

Rick

#9 the saltydog

the saltydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:07 PM

Don't forget that killer belly button lint fly biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#10 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:09 PM

Tabby cat fur, makes an awsome substitute for hare dubbing. Also, those plastic-coated twisty ties. You can strip off the plastic and use the wire for non-lead weight. Take my word for it, it works great.
“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
~Archimedes

Darwinism seems to have become a politically protected sacred cow, and I've never seen a sacred cow I haven't wanted to roast - the fact that you are not supposed to criticize it is just too irresistible to me.
-Angus Menuge

Visit my blog, North Fly, and leave a comment if the mood takes you

#11 Harold Ray

Harold Ray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:32 PM

Get the lint out of your clothes dryer.
Ray Emerson, D.V.M.
419 Lake Air Drive
Waco, Texas 76710

E-mail: wacovet@yahoo.com

Phone: 254-772-3520, Cell: 254-744-2393

Web Address: http://www.emersonanimalhospital.com

#12 Brian Brown75

Brian Brown75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:39 PM

Bet none of you guys have pet llamas like me that make awsome dry fly dub and the neighbors peacocks molt every year (im glad i live in the country)
LIVE TO TIE, TIE TO LIVE

#13 Worstcaster

Worstcaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:49 PM

Ziplock bags make good clear shell backs.

#14 jimmyboy

jimmyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE (Brian Brown75 @ Feb 25 2009, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bet none of you guys have pet llamas like me that make awsome dry fly dub and the neighbors peacocks molt every year (im glad i live in the country)

Yes, but i bet you don't live in a national park where you can find fur and feathers every where. And if your really lucky even the odd piece of sasquatch fur smile.gif

#15 mouse6196

mouse6196

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:14 PM

Old stuffed animals...all the dubbing you can handle in every colour.