Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How do you finish your fly

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you use a half hitch or Whip finish

Do you use a half hitch or Whip finish

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 J. Johnson

J. Johnson

Don't talk to me, I got a good drift!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 12:58 PM

How do you finish your fly?
The word "angling" is the name given to fishing by people who can not fish- Stephen Leacock

#2 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 01:02 PM

I have never been able to figure out those crazy Whip finish tools and learned to do it by hand. Seems super easy to do it by hand to me dunno.gif

test

#3 Pujic

Pujic

Browns? Where?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 01:07 PM

Whip finish (with a tool) , although I find that about half a dozen half hitch knots and a generous goop of head cement work just as well laugh.gif

Canadian Fly Fisher - Canada's Leading Fly Fishing Magazine
http://www.canflyfish.com

#4 BoubouBomber

BoubouBomber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 01:22 PM

Half hitch and whip finish, both with a tool

#5 mozes

mozes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 01:25 PM

I whip finish with a tool (both kinds Tompson and Materelli) and half hitch by hand.
David
www.vulcanzone.com

#6 MSUICEMAN

MSUICEMAN

When this baby hits 88mph...your gonna see some serious sh*t!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 01:27 PM

i dunno, if i have the tool handy (martarelli style), I use it, if not I do it by hand.... though one half hitch on small dries are nice cuz it pushes any loose mat'l away from the eye, then whip finish.

steve
He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.

#7 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 01:33 PM

Never learned to use a whip finisher and the only time I wished I had learned is on flies size 16 and smaller.

OSD.
user posted image

#8 Fatman

Fatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 01:42 PM

Although I voted with a tool I also whip finish by hand. I have both styles of tool and both have their place in my opion. The whip finish does finish off flies with a very neat tapered head if you want it to or a flat even head if you want that.

I think everyone should learn all three methods and determine which one works best for their style of tying. I do believe the whip finish makes a better looking head than just half hitching, but you do need to know how to half hitch too.

Fatman
Just Fishing! All life is that to some extent. If we are not fishing for one thing it is another. But angling! That's just a bit different. In it we find peace and contentment and much with which to occupy our minds. May the balance of our fishing days be blessed with congenial comrades and "tight lines." Ray Bergman

#9 DFix

DFix

New and improved, guaranteed to handle 3.4 gigs of translation per minute!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 02:01 PM

Hand whip- I can't even tool finish something inside the Twenties.

#10 trout traveler

trout traveler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 02:53 PM

I say that 99% of time i whip finish with tool but lateley have found my self starting to use my hand and half hitch a finishing knot on my flies i tie for me.But will whip finish if in swap.Makes them look alot better.

tt
[/QUOTE]
Deep in the heart of every man is a longing to live as God designed.
Nowere is the freedom to do that more possible than in the wilderness and beauty of God'screations.
Fly rod in hand fish on.
URL: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/

#11 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:42 PM

Actually, I'm completely self taught. So I improvised alot. I have always had very big hands (not fat, just BIG), wear a size XXL glove in fact. Even on the bigger flies, I always had a problem with hand whip finish, even on big flies. Well, could do, had to feed off alot of thread to do it. LOL. I was given a materelli years ago (still have it) and loved it. For me, I can use it as fast and easy as by hand. Plus, with my client flies, I can evenly and nicely put a head on it. A bit more eye pleasing. When I did tie small flies (which, hasn't been for a long time), I just did a couple half hitches and cement. Pretty easy.

#12 Sticky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 04:02 PM

I generally will use a tool to whip finish but lately I've found myself just hand whipping since I've been tying smallie flies mostly.

#13 JOhnStoeckel

JOhnStoeckel

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 06:36 PM

I've always hand whip finished and found it easier and more versatile (you can finish at any point on the fly -- not just behind the eye). I recently heard someone describe hand whip finishing as "old school" and was starting to feel dated. I'm glad to see that almost half you are equally dated!

#14 dabalone

dabalone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 08:42 PM

I learned with the whip finish tool and cant imagine doing it any other way, these beat up Contractor hands need all the help they can get. It just seems to me the tool gives you nice control both with placement and tension.

#15 appalachian angler (tn.)

appalachian angler (tn.)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 09:29 PM

headbang.gif I started making half hitches off of the tip of a retractable ball point pen. Once I figured how to use the Marterelli style tool, I haven't gone back.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies"

-- Bob Lawless.