Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How Many Flies are in Your Collection?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Poll: How Many Flies do You Have?

How many?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 redietz

redietz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:44 PM

Waaaay too many to actually count. Certainly in the thousands, probably less than 10,000.

Bob

#17 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:32 PM

I'd estimate between 4000 to 5000 total. Many I've tied and a lot I've bought over the last 40 or so years. I'd hate to guess what percent have never seen water. Seems I always fish with the same old tried and true patterns.

Dave

#18 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:17 PM

I have around 3000 not counting the ones I am getting ready to send out. After my I supply my brother, and my neice and nephew, I will have about 1500 or so left. I actually went all year without tying on any trips. I am trying to be ready for what ever comes, without stay up nights on fishing trips tying for the next day.
"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#19 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

Somewhere around 400 and more pouring in all the time!
“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
~Archimedes

Darwinism seems to have become a politically protected sacred cow, and I've never seen a sacred cow I haven't wanted to roast - the fact that you are not supposed to criticize it is just too irresistible to me.
-Angus Menuge

Visit my blog, North Fly, and leave a comment if the mood takes you

#20 Brian Brown75

Brian Brown75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:13 PM

roughly 600 something
LIVE TO TIE, TIE TO LIVE

#21 rich5665

rich5665

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:28 PM

The majority of my flies are store bought, Orvis made a lot of money off of me laugh.gif But now that I've started tying my own, the number of flies I own should double by the end of the year and J Stockard is getting a lot of money out of me hysterical.gif I thought I was supposed to save money tying my own flies j_k.gif
Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men. Matthew 4:19

#22 smalltownfisherman

smalltownfisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:53 PM

I counted this morning and I have...

185 flies in my personal flybox.

174 flies in my selling box.

12 of my hand-tied jigs in my personal fly box.

76 of my jigs in my selling box.

All in all I have 447. headbang.gif But thats not counting store-bought flies. biggrin.gif
Genesis 1:20

"Then God said,'Let the waters abound with an abundance of living creatures..."

I have been absent from this forum for about two years. I am very glad to be back!

If there are fish to be caught, then I am most likely out on the water!
~The one and only StF.

#23 boynabubble

boynabubble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:38 PM

I probably had 300 flies total before I started tying. Now I have 1,000s of flies, probably half or more are nymphs. Every time I tie a new pattern that I like, I'll tie at least a half dozen.

Of course I don't carry that many when fishing, just a few of each pattern and all the extras are stored in Plano divider boxes in a soft sided tackle bag.

BNB
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. ~John Muir
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#24 mikey99

mikey99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (rich5665 @ Mar 24 2009, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The majority of my flies are store bought, Orvis made a lot of money off of me laugh.gif But now that I've started tying my own, the number of flies I own should double by the end of the year and J Stockard is getting a lot of money out of me hysterical.gif I thought I was supposed to save money tying my own flies j_k.gif

You won't save any money, but the joy and satisfaction of tying is very much worth it yahoo.gif

#25 trout traveler

trout traveler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:49 PM

You all got me thinking about this. Now just realize this picture is mainly from swaps here on the site. Tells what happens for being around for so long. From the very first swap that was held till now.

Not in picture are the thousands i've tied ,kept or given away.

atroutbum2 you won't believe how many from you and others that i have per taken with in swaps. Several same names , toe tags still on most.

Attached File  P1000262.JPG   1.62MB   137 downloads

tt
[/QUOTE]
Deep in the heart of every man is a longing to live as God designed.
Nowere is the freedom to do that more possible than in the wilderness and beauty of God'screations.
Fly rod in hand fish on.
URL: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/

#26 shezli

shezli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:53 PM

I tie for a local shop here, but I can't say that they are in my collection because they will be sold.
I don't keep a lot of my flies and so I must say that I have under 250 flies. I think I will start to concentrate on tying fishing flies for myself because I guide in the summer and it's always good to have an inventory of flies.
Anyhow, I enjoyed this thread.
SheZ

#27 Jeff Kimball

Jeff Kimball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:13 PM

I give away, trade or sell virtually all my flies... I'm almost always scraping the barrel. I'm packing for a 4 day backcountry fishing trip right now and will have to spend the weekend tying to make sure I have enough to fill a box...
Missionary for the church of partridge

#28 Wayne P

Wayne P

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:32 AM

I have about 250. I knew my fly collection was small, but wow . . . some of you have 25,000!

So the question I have . . . What do you do with all those flies??? I don't know that I would ever fish 25,000 flies. Are they patterns you use? Pattern that you tied for fun and never use??

#29 Andrews15r

Andrews15r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:06 AM

I basically restarted my collection about a month ago however I am now upto about 100 or so. Not that many just a few patterns for the South Platte in Colorado.
"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

~by Tony Blake~

#30 flyfishingtaz

flyfishingtaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:29 AM

I honestly dont see the need for all the flies you guys have. I keep a small box of about 100 flies TOPS. If I need more then that it's cause Im goin on a trip, and I want to make sure I have enough flies so Im not at the fly shop each day buyin flies. I think it all comes down to one thing....us guys really are obsessed with size. hysterical.gif
I love farm ponds!! You can catch gills all day, and not care about hooking into a bigger

MY BLOG