Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How Many Flies are in Your Collection?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Poll: How Many Flies do You Have?

How many?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 streamcaddis

streamcaddis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:23 AM

I have close to 1000 flies in my box. I tie for myself and a friend once and awhile. Because of my health I don't get on the water much maybe twice a year. My boat bag in plum full. I got to get out more.. thumbup.gif
I was tying flies and fly fishing before it got trendy.

#32 canotstop24

canotstop24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:57 PM

I have been tying for a year and I have about 125, but I have tied and given away triple that. I needed the practice and I need to see what worked. My collection should start growing fast now that I don't give many away anymore.

#33 jimmywhiplash

jimmywhiplash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 04:33 PM

I have around the 5000 mark not to sure havent counted them but it,s a lot I tie most days some times only a few other times dozens if I like the pattern,mostly dries and cdc,s anything from size size 10 down to size 16

#34 troutguy

troutguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:33 AM

I feel like a duffer....... I have ten boxes of flies in a vest and four boxes in a fanny pack (salt water). I have a bunch just laying around. I doubt I have over 500. When I re do my boxes, people get my hand me downs.

I have 12 collectibles tied by the Dettes and their three autographs. I blew it with the Darbees, I thought they would live for ever. I fished their flies. My Grandfather gave me a couple of boxes of flies tied by an assortment of Catskill tiers. I can picture them cause I took some apart to see how they were tied and used the rest. I kick myself when I go to the Catskill Fly Museum.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for the day; Teach a man to tie flies and he'll pick up all the roadkill.

#35 beaverfsu

beaverfsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE (Jeff Kimball @ Apr 21 2009, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I give away,

Me too! To the trees, bushes, rocks........ bugeyes.gif
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan circa 1985

#36 brianh

brianh

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:57 AM

I voted 1 - 250. I'd have more, but the tree fish keep stealing them.
"Somehow my addled mind calculated that if I spent $500 on a vise, tools and materials I'd save big money over paying $2.00 each for flies. That was $1,000 ago..."

#37 Denis Lamy

Denis Lamy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:59 AM

No matter how much flies I say I have in my boxes, it will always be too many for my spouse. ohmy.gif

But she let's me spend and tye them anyway cause it's good for me. wink.gif
Au plaisir de vous lire,

Denis Lamy
Trois-Rivières, Qué.
CANADA

#38 rich5665

rich5665

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE (rich5665 @ Mar 24 2009, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The majority of my flies are store bought, Orvis made a lot of money off of me laugh.gif But now that I've started tying my own, the number of flies I own should double by the end of the year and J Stockard is getting a lot of money out of me hysterical.gif I thought I was supposed to save money tying my own flies j_k.gif

Since last posting I had a chance to get a better idea of what was in my fly boxes. At present 290+ flies from fly swaps with another 125 on the way, 100 or so that are store bought, and about 30+ that I tied for myself. I lost 2 to the Lilly Pad Monsters last week crying.gif I carry everything in 7 Fly Boxes, 2 Altoids Tins and a Flay Wallet. I have a larger tray at home that I just started to fill up.
Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men. Matthew 4:19

#39 flyfishtn

flyfishtn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:58 AM

I have over 2500 and growing and I am constantly tying not only for myself or my friends and building new patterns.

It is an addiction. cool.gif
My fly fishing, tying and random thoughts blog: flyfishtn

\><((((((*>

#40 Alpinefly

Alpinefly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (airedale @ Mar 21 2009, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope I have enough options. Some of you probably have way more. Oh, and if you own a fly shop, don't include all the flies in your shop. Just your personal collection. I have about 294 flies. Might have miscounted. Now that I look at that number, I feel like I might have a bit of a small collection actually.

Dang.........I haven't even tried to count. Way too many. A lot of my own designs, (I don't count the production fly tying), and many from swaps over the years. blink.gif

#41 flytyinfreak

flytyinfreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:03 PM

I'm in the 250-500 range but that's because its summer and I geve away a bunch. In february and March I would safely say that number heads upwards of 700.
Acts 4:19,20 :But Peter and John replied, "Do you think God wants us to obey you rather than him? We cannot stop telling about everything we have seen and heard."

#42 Arkansas Mike

Arkansas Mike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:10 AM

I add to my collection everyday. All the flies I tie for Swaps and customers (all 1 of them) that get culled because of excessive imperfections land
in my personal fly boxes. And believe me...I tie a lot of flies with excessive imperfections.

Mike

#43 DHise

DHise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:49 PM

Id guess between 15 and 20 thousand
"Vegetarian" is an Indian word for "bad hunter"

http://castersonlineflyshop.com

#44 kyflytyer

kyflytyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:50 PM

I'd guess that I have around 14,000 - 15,000 flies. I tied for 8 years before I started flyfishing (long story) and have been fishing and tying for 7 years. I only use maybe 5% of the flies I tie. The rest are patterns for species that I don't fish for but wanted to tie the fly. When I tie the flies that I fish with, I tie quite a few of each pattern in different sizes and color combinations. I usually don't tie more than one of the others unless I'm not satisfied with it and keep on until I am.
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. ~ Theodore Roosevelt

#45 creekfishin

creekfishin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:21 PM

wow yall have some flys. i dont tie my own yet , I only have about 50 to 75 all store bought but will start tying soon just looking for the right deal on ebay to come along are save some more money
Tying flies is like smoking Crack once you start you can stop . Then you pawn your T.V. to get more stuff :)