Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How Many Flies are in Your Collection?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Poll: How Many Flies do You Have?

How many?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Mr. Vegas

Mr. Vegas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:00 AM

I couldn't imagine having 20,000 flies and trying to decide what to take on the water!
AKA---- Dustin READ MY BLOG :) http://dustinsflybox.blogspot.com/
Just picked up tying summer '10 and now I am hooked and a fanatic!!

If I can tie a fly ANYONE can!!!

Vouches Beginnerflytyer - day5 - rich mc - utyer - flytyer14- breambuster - letumgo- fly fischa

#62 zug buggin

zug buggin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:13 PM

I'm at somewhere between 300 to 400, I recently finished culling bad flies (rusted hooks,no tails, messed up hackle) I was able to repair many but I thru out maybe 50 flies. In the winter I work on tying my basic patterns about 15 patterns that are tryed and true for me. These are mainly year round or most of the year flys. I tye as needed for the hatches I fish or special occurrences (like white Woolly Buggers for some of the tailrace shad kills)
"Fly Fishing Is Not A Team Sport"----Tom McGuane

The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
Tom McGuane

#63 Green Hornet

Green Hornet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:48 PM

I tie as I need them. I have a bunch of store bought flies that I picked up over the summer when my local Walmart remodeled and decided to get out of the fly biz. I bought every fly they had at a price I coundn't refuse! Most are small dry flies, that may see some use to tease the local panfish population.The rest I am hanging onto til I can get further north and try to catch some trout. I was surprised and happy when they put out the Hoppers on the sale shelf! They are killer! I have a 100 of just those.

#64 Copperhead22

Copperhead22

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:49 AM

With my one year of tying I've got over 200 flys

#65 hcfliesandjigs

hcfliesandjigs

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

I am pretty new to tying so have somewhere between 75-100 flies that I could hit the water with tomorrow. If there were any water because currently its all ice. Starting to get a lot better in my skills and have picked out about 25 patterns that I am going to really focus on. Wanting to tye up 6-12 of each pattern and some in various colors so my numbers will grow. After that my wife can only hope I ran out of materials and I will be fishing until I run out.

#66 mojokayak

mojokayak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

251-500 I'd guess