Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

getting to know a fly

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: getting to know a fly

how many of a fly do you have to tie before you think you know it inside and out?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 jimmyboy

jimmyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:43 PM

jut wondering how many flies you think you have to tie to really know a pattern?

#2 boynabubble

boynabubble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:24 AM

Not sure why exactly, but it seems that once I tie a pattern a few times I hardly ever forget how to tie it. Now if I could only do the same with Genetics and Biochem....I'd be Valedictorian! hysterical.gif

BNB
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. ~John Muir
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,173 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:38 AM

one! maybe two!
Friday is my second favorite "f" word. Floccinaucinihilipilification is my first.

#4 smalltownfisherman

smalltownfisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:52 AM

I would say I have to tie about 5 or 6 to really get it down. coffee1.gif banana.gif
Genesis 1:20

"Then God said,'Let the waters abound with an abundance of living creatures..."

I have been absent from this forum for about two years. I am very glad to be back!

If there are fish to be caught, then I am most likely out on the water!
~The one and only StF.

#5 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:22 PM

I'd say it would take somewhere around ten to really know a fly.
Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
~Archimedes

Darwinism seems to have become a politically protected sacred cow, and I've never seen a sacred cow I haven't wanted to roast - the fact that you are not supposed to criticize it is just too irresistible to me.
-Angus Menuge

Visit my blog, North Fly, and leave a comment if the mood takes you

#6 Hairstacker

Hairstacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:58 PM

For me, to really have it down to the point of knowing precisely where each thread wrap needs to go, precisely where and how each item should be tied on and tied off, exactly how thick and how long a dubbing rope should be, etc., etc., probably takes me on average a couple dozen flies before Im tying perfectly proportioned, identical bugs every time. Really depends on the pattern, though -- some far less, some many more.

From another perspective, Im sure many of us have heard the quote from A.K. Best, I dont really know how to tie a fly until Ive cranked out a hundred dozen of them.

-- Mike

#7 tyininmontana

tyininmontana

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:00 PM

i would wanna say a dozen

#8 Dale

Dale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:09 PM

I'm with Hairstacker. I suscribe to the A.K. Best theory: It takes about 100 doz. to get it down so you can tie the pattern in your sleep and will never need to look up the materials, hook sizes, hook types or proportions again yahoo.gif
Catch and release is the best thing to ever happen to liars like me!

#9 cencalfly

cencalfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:41 PM

You can get a pattern down? Yes, there's still hope. Woohoo!

Voted over 100, been living on short-term memory for too long.

#10 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:00 PM

I'm in the 20-30 camp. By "knowing it inside and out", I take that to mean I can perhaps not tie any for months, or a year, then go and tie one exactly the way it should be. Then do it again. And again. All but the simplest patterns like basic woolly worms and woolly buggers for instance, take a while to really get down. In fact, now that I think about it, probably more than 30. A HUNDRED DOZEN? I don't know about that. I know I've never tied a hundred dozen of any pattern.

Why in hell do we count these in DOZENs anyhow?

the gales of November remembered...

#11 WYKnot

WYKnot

I may be retired....BUT YOU BETTER MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON TIME FOR MY SWAP MAGGOT...NOW DROP AND GIMME 20!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE (boynabubble @ Apr 28 2009, 07:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now if I could only do the same with Genetics and Biochem....I'd be Valedictorian! hysterical.gif

Genetics is fascinating and biochem isn't too bad once you get pass the point of counting carbons in metabolic cycles. If molecular biology is in your future, the two finally merge in a coherent fashion.

Flies, on the other hand, take me longer to tie correctly at a reasonable pace; I voted in 40-60 range. By then the materials go on without much trouble and the restart time is minimal when picking the pattern up again after a break.
Russ Forney

#12 JRG

JRG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:43 PM

Usually around the 4th or 5th one I'm at the point where I'm not changing anything to make it better or different to where I'm satisfied with the pattern.

#13 iso18

iso18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:37 PM

i voted 10 to twenty.Only because every fly is different and some r more complicated than others.But,generally speaking,after 10 or so ties or less,i am usually very adapt at tying that respective fly.
shane

#14 day5

day5

Founding member of Carp Unlimited, first meeting held at the Kalamazoo waste management plant...bring gloves!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:43 PM

2 or 3. Sometimes less to none. If I see something in a fly shop I normally can figure it out just from looking at the fly.
Genesis1:20
Click the picture below to visit www.streamersflyshop.com

I filled up two shopping carts late last night
The one was full of fishing gear, the other newcastle ale
The checkout-lady laughed and said 'You think you got enough'
And I said 'Yeah, You're probably right', and filled another two carts up
Gonna catch all the fish, Gonna drink all the beer, Gonna head outta town, We're not staying here
Might take all day, might take all year, Till we catch all the fish, Till we drink all the beer

Brad Paisley

Join me on facebook search: streamers fly shop

#15 DeweyGreen

DeweyGreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE (day5 @ May 1 2009, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2 or 3. Sometimes less to none. If I see something in a fly shop I normally can figure it out just from looking at the fly.

I can do the same .
But it takes me about a doz. until I'm happy with what I tie.
Are we all just puppet masters floating our little fly puppets to an audience of fish ??
www.lrsa.org