Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

getting to know a fly

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: getting to know a fly

how many of a fly do you have to tie before you think you know it inside and out?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Futzer

Futzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:14 PM

Well to "really know" down to the exact number of thread wraps, tensions, material proportions, I say 100 dozen of the same bug, same size. Most tyers, unless commercial ones have never tied that many. I have several times in one production run. Yes most good tyers can successfully produce a pattern in a few dozen, but to really have it where you can almost tie the bug with your eyes closed, try a big run some time. Say one whole Saturday for 8 hours tie as many as you can of one fly. I guarantee by the end of that day you will see what I mean.

Cheers, Futzer.
Tie a man a fly and you give him fresh air, some exercise and a lot of fun. Teach a man to tie flies and eventually it takes over all free time, a room in his house and several thousand of his dollars.

#17 Andrews15r

Andrews15r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:25 AM

It depends on the type of fly, for instance I can usually just look at a dry fly and know what materials to use and tie it to satisfaction right away, but on the other hand I have been tying up a stone fly pattern and the biot is kicking my butt, so I still haven't gotten it down. I would say it completely depends on the type of fly.
"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

~by Tony Blake~

#18 Futzer

Futzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE (Andrews15r @ May 6 2009, 11:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It depends on the type of fly, for instance I can usually just look at a dry fly and know what materials to use and tie it to satisfaction right away, but on the other hand I have been tying up a stone fly pattern and the biot is kicking my butt, so I still haven't gotten it down. I would say it completely depends on the type of fly.

Hi Andrew, if the biot is for the body, sometimes I soak them in water to soften them before tying in. Cheers, Futzer.
Tie a man a fly and you give him fresh air, some exercise and a lot of fun. Teach a man to tie flies and eventually it takes over all free time, a room in his house and several thousand of his dollars.

#19 Hellgrammite

Hellgrammite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:28 AM

I am in the "40 to 60" range, but the reason is pretty simple.

In terms of the "pattern", as far as what color wing, body, tails, wing case, blah blah, I still dont "know" most of the ones I tie all the time. I just peek in my little spiral notebook which contains my "recipies" for my flies. I have the memory of a
goldfish.

I tie 6 different "patterns" of dries intended to represent mayfly duns. 5 for spinners, etc etc. The individual "pattern" I need to look up, as far as colors of thread, etc. But as far as "what do i tie where, what do i tie in next, how far forward to start my hackle, etc" it took me 50+ flies to feel i was "good" at it, and probably more until I actually WAS good at it. My duns, spinners, nymphs, stoneflies, etc, are all tied exactly the same way. Just the size and colors vary.

If its a style of fly i am familiar with, and i just change colors or materials, I would be ok after 6 or so I would think. If its a totally new thing (i have never tied a parachute for example) It would be in that 40-60 range. If that makes sense...

For what its worth to any beginners, I started tying by doing nymphs, Hares ears in varying colors. Hundreds of the things. Good way to fill a box with stuff you can use and learn basic skills at the same time
I inherited an old violin and a painting, a Rembrant and a Stradivarius. It turns out Rembrant made lousy violins and Stradivari wasnt much of a painter.