Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BigDaddyHub

Floyd's Rogue River Hybrid

This is a work in progress...I have recently become obsessed with FLoyd's foam bugs and have been experimenting with his technique. I love the Rogue River Salmon flies for smallmouth....It's a great hopper imitation on two particular fields that are bordered by a sycamore stand and hay fields. Still working out the kinks...using 3mm foam trying to get a "bigger" profile...mixed results....flirting with different ideas for the head....any suggestions and criticisms(helpful criticisms) would be greatly appreciated!

Looks good to me, what kind of foam are you using?

just cheap 3mm from the local Wally....aren't too many fly shops/outfitters in Ky stocking a wide selection of 2mm...may have to order the colors I want in 2mil.....the biots are simply glued in with a little CA adhesive (superglue) pressed between the foam layers of the last segment...the glue "squished" on me when I compressed the layers to secure them....the Head seems a bit "off" to me...it has a nice profile...it's tied on a sz 4 hook

This is another variation I just completed...it has "split" foam wings...the legs haven't been trimmed to size, but you get the picture

post-20880-1242930575_thumb.jpg

post-20880-1242930605_thumb.jpg

It looks like you've got the technique down pat on the extended body. I really like the split foam wing idea. Good job. :thumbup:

You could use Larva Lace Foam which is 5mm and it's very easy to use and floats well. This will give you a bigger profile that your looking for. Here's a photo of a fly that I was playing around with using Larva Lace Foam.

post-1533-1242944838_thumb.jpg

Chris they look good to me . You could do no better than to try and emulate Floyd and his tying style.

I like the split wings they really add that buggy look .

Fred

Me likes it!

But how are the alternately colored round spots (which look like they could be clipped rubber leg material) that appear in the middle of the segments formed?

Floyd,

Thank you for your input and for turning me back on to foam...the legging thru the body blew my mind!!!...had never seen that in any commercial or regional pattern before...For me, it changes the whole asthetic and personna of the fly. It adds a certain quality/characteristic that just makes the fly look more, uh, BUGGY, I guess is the word I'm looking for. It's such a simple concept, but the result changes the whole fly and elevates it to "just one step above" flies in the same class. Tied 60 bodies last night....can't wait to starting strapping them to hooks! Was not aware there was 5mm foam! Gotta check that out!!! Digging the bug in your post...what size hook are you using?

Fred,

Thanks for your input as well...ths split foam wing was something I started doing a few years back, although I'm sure I'm not the first to do this. I left the "tag" end of the foam long and split it , at the time, two reasons: 1, To try to add bouyancy to the larger foam patterns if the fly started to "drag" due to saturation or my own tying error in choice of materials in patterns in which I was experimenting; and 2, I had experienced a medical issue which really screwed up my vision temporarily and the high profile split wing acted as a strike indicator on the mcuh smaller patterns....Now I just do it out of habit. I've been doing for so long now that some of my generic bee and wasp patterns just don't seem right without it

The Lava Lace foam that I use came from Sportsman's Warehouse. The hook size on the fly I was playing around with is a Mustad 7948A size 12. If you can't find the Lava Lace foam I might send you a sample. It's much softer than the regular 5mm foam.

Floyd,

Thank you for your input and for turning me back on to foam...the legging thru the body blew my mind!!!...had never seen that in any commercial or regional pattern before...For me, it changes the whole asthetic and personna of the fly. It adds a certain quality/characteristic that just makes the fly look more, uh, BUGGY, I guess is the word I'm looking for. It's such a simple concept, but the result changes the whole fly and elevates it to "just one step above" flies in the same class. Tied 60 bodies last night....can't wait to starting strapping them to hooks! Was not aware there was 5mm foam! Gotta check that out!!! Digging the bug in your post...what size hook are you using?

Fred,

Thanks for your input as well...ths split foam wing was something I started doing a few years back, although I'm sure I'm not the first to do this. I left the "tag" end of the foam long and split it , at the time, two reasons: 1, To try to add bouyancy to the larger foam patterns if the fly started to "drag" due to saturation or my own tying error in choice of materials in patterns in which I was experimenting; and 2, I had experienced a medical issue which really screwed up my vision temporarily and the high profile split wing acted as a strike indicator on the mcuh smaller patterns....Now I just do it out of habit. I've been doing for so long now that some of my generic bee and wasp patterns just don't seem right without it